The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2007, 03:14 AM   #1
outlawc

truck to blazer?

Has anyone ever done this? I have been looking at pics of the blazer body, more specifically the rear floor and front cab floor and it looks to me that it is basicly a truck swb bed floor mated to a cut down truck cab, or am I wrong. Did GM build the blazer using truck parts, or, are the parts used to build the blazer manufactured for the blazer only. The reason I ask is I have seen the lowered "roadster" style blazers, like the one being built by Porterbuilt and love them. I have looked for a blazer body locally and the ones I have found are to far gone and priced to high for what I want and since I already have a long bed truck that I was going to shorten to a swb anyway, I thought I would just build one from what I already have. I was just curious if anyone has built a blazer from a truck or used a truck bed floor or a truck cab to repair a blazer. Looking at the blazer body, to me it looks like a factory built custom.
outlawc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: truck to blazer?

It's been done before, but if I remember correctly it was a lot of work. The person that I recall doing it is no longer a member here and I don't know if anyone else has tried it. Have you checked the parts board? There was a blazer tub in La for sale recently that might be a better start.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
outlawc

Thanks Krue, I will check that. I figured it would be a job, but then sometimes I like a challenge Thanks again.
outlawc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
69TowRig

The cab floor supports and rocker areas are different because of the rocker boxes under the floor that allow the top to come off without the body sagging in the middle.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
Rokcrln

With enough time spent it can be done and done well but I would sugest finding a rusted blazer and just fix it. You will be time and money ahead when you finish. The rear section of the blazer floor is a bit different and has two more body mounts as well. The front of the bed were it turns down to meet the cab floor is also blazer only as are the B pillers, rocker sections, windshield frame. Like I said it can be done but why!

Kevin
LFD inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
rancid

just be a man cut up the truck, nah just kidding. it would be easier getting a blazer, i am going to go through with my build. a 72 gmc longbed 3/4 ton being converted to a 67 1/2 ton tahoe roadster. basically a 4 door blazer and it will have about 8-10 inches added inbetween the wheelbase over a standard blazer and have no roof and smoothed and shaved. i think its a pain but i had the parts and thought what the hell i want a tahoe convertible anyway.

rancid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:04 PM   #7
ABHaulR

i just did mine this past weekend. when it stops raining i'll post some pics. I took my 68 c10 cut the top off about half way up the a pillar. then removed the tank, then cutt the floor just in front of the rear cab mounts reinforcement. drilled the spot welds out on the rear of both rockers. the floor in my blazer was rusted beyond repair. so i had purchased the 68 for a parts truck. the top of the window frame was going to be used for my 72 sub. the 396 maybe going into my blazer. it was some work but for my blazer, the kick panels, floor, rockers and a pillars were wasted. when i took the top off for the summer, you couldn't open the doors. i still need to replace the rockers but for what i'm going to use it for its not a big thing. off-roading, hunting and rock crawling.
Dwayne
ABHaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:11 PM   #8
rancid

lets see some pics, i thought i was the only goofy one.
rancid is offline   Reply With Quote