The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
SactoJim

Front Windshield Install

A buddy and I tried to install my new front windshield today and gave up in fear of screwing something up. got the back in just fine a few weeks back with no problems and figured I would be able to get the front in as well even though I knew it would be more difficult do to the curvature.

The biggest challenge is dealing with the stainless trim that I'm assuming needs to be installed before the window is installed.....at least that's the way I did the back.

My attempted install went like this.....install rubber around window.....install stainless trim (hard to keep attached at sides and bottom due to the rubber seal "rolling" under).......install small nylon rope in rubber with both ends terminating at the bottom middle of window (pull from inside of truck)........set window in place and start from the base using a squirt bottle with soapy water.......................at this point the trim is hard to keep in and I can't seem to get the window rubber to seat all the way over the perimeter flange.

Anybody have a good "how to" on this or am I better off to have a "professional" come out and install it?
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
WRMZ71
Cause the Chicks DIG IT!!

Re: Front Windshield Install

on stuff like that front window its best to have somebody come out and do it if you ask me. I think when I just had mine replaced with the price of the window included in the installation I only paid 120 bucks an they came to my house to do it. Then if they break it, they pay for it!! Best of luck in whatever you decide.
WRMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
Nima
Blue 67

I did mine couple of months ago. Actually I had more dificulty with my small rear window than the front. this was my first time too. First of all, I didn't have stainless trim therefore no comment on that. My problem was that I didn't center the window 100% therefore it didn't want to sit right. I had to take it out and center it. When it was centered, I pulled the robe at the bottom at the same time on left and right side. My father was puting gentle pressure on the window from outside. I hope more experince staff here give you better tips. Good luck
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:31 PM   #4
Jim_PA

Well, if you're lucky, a rock from a dump truck will hit your windshield, and your ins company probably has a $100 deductable on auto glass replacement
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote