The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
hewlett2002000

lifters, valves, compression and such...

ok as some of you know im having a problem. ok first ill tell you how im pretty sure it happened. i was moving my truck to the other side of the driveway so i could get a rolling frame out of the shop. well i got it to the other side and it died from a fuel problem. so i went and moved the frame, cleaned the shop, and pushed the frame back in. well it still wouldent start so i went inside. well my mom got home (im 18, i split the rent with her) and told me to move my truck and i said it wont start and she said i dont care. i have crap in my tank so after it sits it starts(im fixing it when my fuel cell gets in). well i get in and it starts and by this time it had already been a Really bad day so i floor it and let off the clutch and spin all the way back to my spot and killed it. stupid i know and it wont happen again. well i went back out and started it and it was missing. well after setting the valves i discovered it has a flattened lifter(or a bad spot in the cam). im buying 16 new lifters and installing them tomorrow, but whats the odds the cam is bad too? i know its the number 5 intake lifter thats bad and also that its missing on 5 because i pulled the plug wire with no difference in running. anyways should i go ahead and replace the cam while im at it? im still quite new at this so any help is appreciated. now i know what happens when you do stupid things. anyways thanks ahead of time.
John
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.

When you fail to show consideration to others values you are showing disrespect.
hewlett2002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
hewlett2002000

Re: lifters, valves, compression and such...

o and also should i run a compression test before i do anything? a friend said i should.
John

When you fail to show consideration to others values you are showing disrespect.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
Billla
Account Suspended

If you replace the lifters you must replace the cam. The agressive finish on the lifters will almost certainly cause the old cam to fail
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
rickf

Surely Billla is right, and the proper thing to do is replace the cam when replacing the lifters. But... I am assuming we're talking about hydraulic lifters and that the ones in the 350 are not much different in basic design and function than those in a 230L6. Some time about 1985 I replaced all the lifters in a 230L6 because a couple of them were not pumping up anymore. I did not replace the cam. That engine ran for 20 more years, never noticed any particular problem with the cam or lifters again. (It did eventually burn a valve and ran a couple years on 5 cylinders.)

So, bottom line, Billla is telling you the right way to do it, but the wrong way just might work well enough. I suppose it depends on the level of gamble your willing to take. In my case, mostly it was blissful ignorance, no one told me I should replace the cam too. Maybe if I were to do it over again now, it wouldn't work.
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
Maybe if I were to do it over again now, it wouldn't work.
ROTF, L - too true Been there many times!
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #6
hewlett2002000

well guys i was outside messin with it today and i made a decision. i have to have something to drive right now so its going to the side for a while. it not a want at this point its a necessity, yall can understand that right? when i do get the money im just gonna bite the bullet and pull the engine and eaither rebuild or if i got the money then ill put a LS1 or caddy 500 in it. idk yet. but i gotta quit spending my money on this and just get something to drive. thanks yall.
John