The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2007, 11:26 PM   #1
1972 chevy dewey

LS-2 engine swap

Has anyone put an LS-2 engine in 72 chevy pickup? I need to know if the mounts for engine and tranny are different or do they need to be spaced. I hope to get this project completed by fall.
1972 chevy dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:12 AM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: LS-2 engine swap

Click on the INdex link in my sig, there're a couple of threads on LS-1 swaps, should be similar.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:31 AM   #3
BigTex

An LS2 swap will the same as any of the other LSx motor swaps. The exterior of the LS2 is identical to the other GENIII and GENIV motors. Inside the motor there are a few changes with the cam and crank sensor locations, but nothing that will stop you from making the swap.

Shifty will tell you where to look for info when he sees this thread.
BigTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:56 AM   #4
shifty
Questionable

LS1, LS2, LS6, LQ9, LQ4, LM7, in general i believe the physical install of all of GenIII and GenIV engines is basically the same, the differences occur with the fuel supply, intakes, wiring, computer and serpentine/accessory setups on the front. while that might sound like nearly everything, it really isn't.

click on the link in my signature for my ls1tech buildup thread, there is a list of GenIII swaps there for this forum and that one. it will give you an idea of what youre up against, and ls1tech is a great place to find people who've done an LS2 or LS6 swap into one of our trucks.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:25 AM   #5
combustion

pardon my ognorance
not to steal the thread but is the ls7 same as any other "ls" series motors???
If it`s 3.73 ratio you will spint the wheel 100 times to the driveshaft`s 373 times.Or,if you`re lazy,you could just spin the wheel once and the driveshaft will spin 3.73 times.Or, 3 and 3/4 turns.And if you`re real lazy,I can sell you a tab for whatever ratio you want.
Or,you could read all the suggestions and try those.It`s been well explained,I think,already.
combustion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:39 AM   #6
shifty
Questionable

Educate yourself here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine

LS2 and LS7 are GenIV SBC. Every other engine listed up there is a GenIII SBC. I think the only real difference is internals.

"LSX" is an incorrect identifier for "LS" series motors that you will often see. the LSX is an actual engine that was produced this year.

We will soon start seeing LS3 engines showing up in Vettes and other cars.

This is all probably information that should be included somewhere

The confusing part is the gamut of GenIII engines other than the LS1 (LQ4, LQ9, LM7, etc. etc.) that you find in modern pickups. This includes the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 and possibly others. There are several variants, all with Lxx identifiers (so I've seen, but this may be wrong also).

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
Educate yourself here:

"LSX" is an incorrect identifier for "LS" series motors that you will often see. the LSX is an actual engine that was produced this year.
this is true and for the most part most people wont know when you say "i have a LH6" what your talking about, so thats why alot of people use the 'LS1, LSx' terms.... but like shifty said its inaccurate....but hey i do it too...
look at shiftys link to all the conversion threads in our style trucks... all you'll run into (mounting wise) is covered... also hart_rob is in the process of makeing a FAQ on how to install these engines in our truck, that'll cover wiring, phyical mounting of engine/trans, fuel system, etc....
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
BigTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
LS2 and LS7 are GenIV SBC. Every other engine listed up there is a GenIII SBC. I think the only real difference is internals.

The LS7 is unique when compared with the other "LSx" engines. Larger bore, longer stroke, unique heads and intake design. Being a hand built "custom" motor, not many of its parts are found in other motors although they are physically compatible.

As far as GM is concerned, the name "LSX" is an engine block offered by GM Performance parts. They refer to "LS-type" engines in this pdf file, and include cars and trucks in the description: http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_r...FactsSheet.pdf

BigTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:22 PM   #9
shifty
Questionable

Thanks for the info, BigTex

Do you (or anyone else) happen to know if the mounting points are in (either the exact/very close/not very close to) the same place on the GenIII and GenIV blocks?

Also, is the bolt pattern for the mounts the same? That is, could you use mounting plates designed for a GenIII on a GenIV engine?
I'm just curious if a GenIV will bolt up exactly the same or damned close to the same as a GenIII.

Last edited by shifty; 08-01-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:25 PM   #10
shifty
Questionable

Actually, more questions ....

What is the actual difference of the block-side mounting points for the GenI thru GenIV engines? I mean, the SBC has been around forever, so ...

... Say I was wanting to take a '67 Bronco (wife wants one) and I had a SBC install kit for it .... could I theoretically use it to bolt a GenIV engine into the vehicle using that kit?

Old 08-02-2007, 12:44 AM   #11
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

GenIII/IV should be the same as far as mounts. There's lots of guys doing LS2 swaps into C5 'Vettes. They differ in some of the sensor mounting locations- crank or cam position- I can't remember for sure.

The difference between the SBC mounting position and the LS-style is about 4" measured from the back of the block where the transmission mounts. The S&P style plates will get you very close to the same spot. The ECE style put the motor/tranny about 3-4" forward of standard SBC mounting.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote