The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
68MoneyPit

paint removal

What are you guys doing to strip all the old paint off of your trucks. I have a 68 with the original paint with SEVERAL coats of paint that the previous owner had put on it. I have used chemical stripper, 80 grit, wire cup, and a ton of elbow grease and it is SLOW going. I have been told just to use the 80 grit but is is real easy to heat up the metal and you have to stay away from any edges. I am looking for the next best thing to magic. ANY suggestions.
68MoneyPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
kyull67

Re: paint removal

I've always used aircraft paint stripper and a DA. You can get it at any auto parts store. Let the paint bubble up from the stripper and then use a scrapper to get it off. After that go over it with the DA.
kyull67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
Premium72

use the aircraft stripper or any strong paint remover, then i have a wire cup wheel on my angle grinder. When the paint bubbles up and after about 15 min(yeah i actually read the directions on sumthn...huh it works..haha) take thate wire wheel to it, dont apply any pressure. if you press too hard it will destroy that wheel and youll have a croth full of wire...and not in a good way. also it way heat the metal and cuase some problems. I had no issues doing this over the last week on my hood. Only took about 2 days half @$$workn on it in my spare time. Slather that stripper on there good an thick walk away' stay busy with sumthn else let it work its majic. then tear it up. oh an wear some gloves if you havent used it before. If it sneeks up the brush an gets on your hand...then you rub it in your eye.....ahhh. not so fun..good luck. w. (oh and i finnaly got my hood painted WOOOHOOO).
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
Richard H.
Spanked once

Just some tips with stripping... A stripper with methyl line chloride is a good stripper and also very caustic as said above.
Scratch the paint by hand with 40 or 60 grit paper as this helps the stripper get under the paint.
I always try to cover the stripper with Saran wrap as soon as applied to slow down evaporation of the chloride and drying.
Richard H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
TN70C10

ive always heard that the best primer is the old paint and that 95% of the paint stripping that goes on is not needed and a huge waste of time and effort. for the ones that actually need to be stripped you should find a media blaster and have it blasted.
TN70C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #6
Premium72

ehh, to many layers of paint is not a good thing. if your not sure haw many times the truck has been painted or what it was painted with ..hell some numb nuts coulda rolled some house paint on there about 15 years ago..you just never know. the best primer for fresh paint...........is fresh primer. you want to be sure that you dont spend your cash on a great new paint job go to spray it and then it doesnt last becuase of the 12 coats of garbage under it. either way. good luck.
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote