The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2007, 11:57 PM   #1
98jimmy

98 jimmy dies after warm up

I have a 98 jimmy 4.3 liter 106,000 miles. The problem started 3 years ago when moving from Alaska to nevada and only occurs in summer. In hot weather only, driving 80 or 25 in town or idling, the engine will intermittently die after it gets hot. No problem with restart--I am use to popping it into nuetral at 75 mph and restarting on the fly. The problem seems to kill the engine but allows it to be restated with no problem. The engine is smooth as pie before/after this happens, no sputtering, just dead. mileage is normal. No error codes, no other symptoms--headlights keep shining, music keeps playing during these events. This might happen 3-4 times in a row ,once in a while or not at all when the GM mech is driving it. This is only a maybe but it seems like just pulling over , turn the ignition off/on maybe helps a little. I tried new ignition switch and fuel filter. local GM folks got nothin' I don't mind shotgunning the problem if I had a likely list of culprits. Help!
98jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
J-Rod
GMC Dreamer

Re: 98 jimmy dies after warm up

Your not alone,my 2000 Jimmy did the same exact thing your describing, only when hot right? Runs fine during winter right? No one can figure it out right? Sometimes it will die 10x in one day and not do it again for a month or so right?
Well I'll tell you what I did to fix this litte pain in the azz... I traded the pice of s**t in on a brand new Pontiac. 3 different mechanics could find nothing and could tell me nothing to do about it. Just get rid of it cause it will never get better.

SOLD: WAY TOO MANY TO LIST HERE [/FONT][/SIZE]
J-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote