The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
David Flores

Airbag questions.

Okay, I'm installing drop spindles up front in my 66 swb but I want to be able to keep my rear stock when i want and level my truck out when i feel like it.(I want to be able to drop my rear 4 inches) I don't want to drop it more than that though.

I know nothing about air bags. but I'm guessing this would be the best way to go about this.

Any suggestions on what bags would work for this and what else would I need.

and what else I would have to do to the rear of my truck?
Old 08-06-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
Kontrol Phreaks

Re: Airbag questions.

You can install the bags in the same place where the coil spring is located on the trailing arm now. The brackets are simple and you can have that all done in an afternoon.

I'd suggest a simple air managment system with some along the lines of a 3 gallon air tanks, Viair 400C compressor, and a manual paddle valve setup. That way you're not going to break the bank and all the components will be very easy to install. Nice, clean, compact system to get down the road.

Let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

I agree with Clint. It is super easy to set up the rear for air-ride especially if you don't want to run a c-notch. It's super easy to swap the rear springs with the bags, just drill 2 holes in the frame for the mount, and a 1" hole for the bag port. On the cheap, you can even get by with a 2-valve setup and run both bags on 1 fill and 1 dump. There's not as much cross-contamination of air in the rear as there is in front, but in hard cornering you will still feel some added body roll as a result. If you really want an economical setup you can run schrader valves and not even have to worry about compressors or tanks or valves. You just won't be able to adjust your ride-height at the flip of a switch. Get yourself a portable 5-gallon air tank that you can fill up with your home compressor or at a gas station and it will get you 1 or 2 fills from dead empty in the rear.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:03 PM   #4
MrShelley
Too Many Clubs Club

The rear bags are cake. Check the link in my sig for pictures. 67Fleet has some good ideas too, it just depends on how "economical" you want to get.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
Kontrol Phreaks

Level 1: Install 2 shradder valves that you would be able to fill from an external air source like a gas station compressor.

Level 2: Install a small tank ( 3 gallon ) with a 400C Viair compressor to fill it. Then inside the cab you can run a manual paddle valve that will allow you to inflate / deflate the airbags from inside the cab. If you want to control each airbag seperately then you would need 2 of these manual paddle valves.

Level 3: Next upgrade would be adding a 12v powered valve that you could use to inflate / deflate the airbags with a better responsive time.

With a valve like the one shown above you would be able to control each bag seperately. Then if you ever decided to airbag the front of the truck you could duplicate the system. Buy one more matching valve, another 3 gallon tank, and possibly one more 400C compressor if you want too.