The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

Help with my plan

Alright just trying to get everything in line before old orange 71 goes under the knife for the next year. I have replacement body piecie on order and just need to find a good long fleet bed in the Wichita area to have everything cosmetically ready.

The drive train is a whole other problem. I am going to switch from my 292 I6 to a 350 V8 and the motor will prob. come from GM Preformance (warranty too good to pass up). This truck only has ps but I plan to add aftermarket air. The questions I have is before I start this what other parts for the motor do I need to have ready and is anything from my I6 setup usable for the 350.

Secondly I have a four on the floor I think the 465/205 set-up the one where first gear is up and to the left and slow as hel*. Will this tranny hold up to a 350 and will it even be that fun to drive as I want the truck to run fast but not over the top. I do have a 12 bolt posi rear end already on the truck but unsure of the gears.

Any suggestions and help is appreciated or other ideas my budget is around 11k and 6k has already been chewed up by the body
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
prg machine

Re: Help with my plan

In my book you have a bullet proof combo for off roading and general truck use in the 465 and the 205. 500 horsepower will break a driveline before anything would give in your trans or transfer. That is exactly what I am using in K-20 with 383 that I am putting together. As far as the engine change, I believe you will need to do something different with the engine mountsand/or transfercase locatio and possibly driveline lengths. You will definetly need the shorter ball pivot on the 350 block so make sure it has the correct tapped hole on the side of the block below the dipstick. If it doesn't have the hole and there is a boss there you are still okay as the boss can be drilled and tapped for the clutch pivot. This is all necessary if you use the mechanical linkage. The hydraulic slave cylinder with a master would be entirely a different story.
prg machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:42 PM   #3
wibilly

the 465 is a very strong tranny but your not gonna win any races shifting it. it's all truck
Old 08-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

Thanks for the help so far would it be worth doung the switch to a 400 tranny for faster speed as the current 4 speed has a long shift time
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote