The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
wildmanaaron

Problems Finding A New Radiator

I cannot seem to find a radiator anywhere for my Truck. I want a radiator that has metal tanks instead of the plastic tank/aluminum core radiators that everybody is trying to sell me (Those look like they should fit my Nissan Altima). I have went to Auto Zone, Advance, O Reilly's, Napa, and even tried the local radiator repair shop. None of the people have been able to order a metal tank radiator for me.

I have been looking up one with a 19" tall core, from a 1986 Chevy Truck, 2wd, w/AC so it will fit underneath the top LH & RH radiator brackets that work on 3-row models.

Anybody else have any similiar trouble lately. I guess the manufacturers are trying to cut costs since metal is so expensive right now.
wildmanaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: Problems Finding A New Radiator

Just bought a 4-core copper/brass model from Oreillys. They matched autozones price of $264.00. Check them out on line.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

I purchase all my radiators from here; http://www.radiatorbarn.com/

I have bought 3 from them so far and have had no problems, They also offer lifetime warrenty.....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
wildmanaaron

Was the ones that you got from Radiatorbarn with metal tanks?
Old 08-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
Pyrotechnic

I had the same issue recently. I honesty didn't care about whether it was an old school brass/copper or a plastic/aluminum.

First I tried finding a 19" tall 3 core. Couldn't do it. They had a 19" tall aluminum/plastic, but the core was so damn thin and it would have required smaller mounting pads.

So I went to another place, got one that looked right so I bought it. It was a 3 core but I found out on engine swap day that it was the few inches less than 19" short radiator for a 6 cyl.

Took it back and did the proven trick. I asked for one for a 1 ton 454 truck and they brought out a monster 19" tall 4 core in brass/copper. After all the trouble I had, I just took it. Going bigger certainly couldn't hurt, though it meant that I needed new radiator support pads, which is why I wanted the 3 core at first. A call the dealership and $30 later, I had the larger support pads.

If you want, I can get you the GM part number for the support pads and the part number (Ready-Rad from O'reilly) for the 4 core radiator if you want.

Either way, this whole aluminum/plastic stuff that they are phasing in has made for the worst time that I have EVER had trying to locate a radiator, since some of the new old stock that hasn't been bought up yet is still brass/copper and all the new stuff is aluminum/plastic. In another couple of years you won't even be able to get a copper/brass.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #6
benoit454
Chris

I go onto autozone's website or advanced and they have the copper/brass listed on there, which have the (metal) end tanks.

I've bought 2 of them in the last year or so. One for an 86 305 4x4 with a/c and the other for a 85 monte carlo without a/c. Both were 3 core, even the same number. One from autozone one from advanced.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmanaaron View Post
Was the ones that you got from Radiatorbarn with metal tanks?
Two of them had the metal tanks, The last one I bought was for my old work car. It was listed as metal tank but they shipped plastic, I called them and they said they no longer handled the metal for my car. The guy told me it had a lifetime warranty so I went ahead and put it in.

I see now all they show is plastic for 86 trucks....

This is the one I bought for my 74;

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I built my own mount brackets and retained a stock chrome top plate and shroud. I wanted a external trans. cooler so didn't need one in the radiator and the tanks polished up great.
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
wildmanaaron

That's a pretty good deal on the one from Summit but I would like to stick with a stock appearance and it doesn't have a fitting for my radiator overflow hose to hook to. I ordered a CU730 from Auto Zone last week (View Picture Here) and it arrived today. As heavy as the package was, I just knew I had gotten lucky and received the right type radiator that had metal tanks. But guess what, it was plastic and aluminum!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:08 PM   #9
LBJ

After I cracked the plastic tank on my 91 GMC, I went to the local rad shop for some repair ideas. He said he could get me an ALL METAL radiator like they used to install on new cars. I picked it up at the local wholesaler after paying him and installed it myself. Brand new. This was around the year 2000 so I cannot remember exactly what it cost, but was around $275 - $300. Worth the money on still going on the truck I sold to my brother. Sorry I cannot remeber the brand. But, they are out there. I'd go to a well run radiator shop and tell them what you are looking for. They will be glad to sell you one!

Last edited by LBJ; 08-08-2007 at 07:09 PM.
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:45 PM   #10
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

im lucky so far ive just keep using old one and havent bought any new ones. If i had to i guess id take my old one to a radiator shop and have them fix it or find me on.

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:57 PM   #11
bigfredtn

Location: West TN (Memphis area) now. East TN (my favorite place to live).

The last couple I bought, I got from http://www.radiator.com/. If you are in or near a major city, they will deliver the same day. Cheaper than any of the parts stores.
62 Chevy Impala
98 GMC Yukon
1970 Ford Mustang Fastback I know its a Ford.
bigfredtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #12
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

got mine from radiator barn....19 in 4 core...I highly recommend them.

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:21 PM   #13
72C203503ONTHETREE

Had the same trouble with my 73 C10. Only had the plastic aluminum versions but I needed it right then. Cost $100 at O'Reillys but has not overheated at all so far even in 90 degree weather. They did have a huge 4 core version but I didnt have the right upper bracket and couldnt wait to find one.

09 Challanger RT six speed in all black.

74 Datsun 710 wagon, all 1.8 liters of screaming Datsun power.

73 C10 long bed, 350/350 combo, nice shape.
72C203503ONTHETREE is offline   Reply With Quote