The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
streetstar

Pics of new Blazer project

Because a photo is more descriptive than talking - this is my "new" 88 K5 i recently got --- it came with a much better original GM hood and i will have to replace the driver's side fender before it is re-painted, but the most important thing for me is that it is intact and relatively un-molested (except for a possible rear bench mismatch (rear bench is vinyl). It is a 350 FI and is in excellent mechanical shape, but needs anew muffler.

I paid $2000 for it and had to install new tires the day i got it, bringing the total to $2500.00. Did i overpay a little, or is that in the ballpark for a driver? No matter - its mine now - initial quote for paint and a little dent repair is around 2 to re-spray it 2 tone, and about a 6-700 to re-do the interior with new carpet and seat covers, so i am really hoping to have a really nice driver for 5-6000.

Last edited by streetstar; 07-05-2007 at 11:06 AM.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
Southedisto
River life......

Re: Pics of new Blazer project

Price is irrelavent if it's what you want. I like the color scheme on that, good looking blazer.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:11 AM   #3
Billy81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southedisto View Post
Price is irrelavent if it's what you want.
I agree.
Billy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
streetstar

The Blazer has been in the family a week or two now. Contacted CaptKaos about carpet and seat covers, his deal will hopefully bring the interior in at around a grand with a new dashpad cover and a few other small things.

In the meantime, i had to have the gas tank replaced because the "new" gas tank in it when i bought it was damaged on installation by the PO. Because of work time constraints , i had to farm this project out (cha-ching)

Next up after there were no more gas fumes in the back was to install a new exhaust system. I truly wish i could have taken a pic of the old system. Dual glasspacks with stubs directly under the cab and loosely clamped on (ouch - my ears)

Because this is a functional resto. project for me and not a hot rod, i had Performance Muffler in Norman OK re-do a Y-pipe and single 3" exhaust system with a Flowmaster 50. Sounds a little too loud for my tastes, but still much better, although i still have to replace the plugs, as i am sure running around for a while with loose pipes probably wasted 'em.

After i ripped out all the old, moldy interior carpet, i threw 2 strips of cheap pep boys carpet in the front primarily to hide the miscellaneous wires down there. Even that makes it look much better, but i can't wait to get a true replacement kit when i make the decision on color hue.

Nothing too interesting, i know --- just the type of things it sometimes takes to make an old used truck into a driver again.

Did not post any pics, because, frankly, there's not much to post, but will post some more as i make definite appearance progress.

The painter's gun is warmed up and ready to go, but after the maintenance odds and ends and a few other non-truck related things as well, i am gonna hold off for a couple months on paint --- but so far my goal of having a restored driver for 6-7k is still looking do-able.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
cochino12
It followed me home?

Looks like you have a pretty solid start.

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
streetstar

Not a lot of progress, but i have been having too much fun driving it to worry --- the earlier pics are the before pic with the mangled stock hood -- i finally got around to replacing it with a much better OEM hood .

It looks 100% better and does not make wild rattles going down the freeway like the original mangled one. After a busy couple of months, it was nice to turn a wrench on something - even a relatively minor improvement like this