The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2002, 09:38 PM   #1
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Angry Pecks, knocks, bumps, and squeaks

Man, I'm getting tired of all these rattles and junk. It seems the more I do to tighten up the suspension, the more I get. The more I do to raise horse power, the more I get.

Like this. I went back and re-read the GM Goodwrench 350 articles I have on my site. I have this engine in my truck, for those who don't know. Anyway, I have Edelbrock heads, intake, XE268 cam, etc. I used composition gaskets when I installed the heads. So, the articles say they used the Felpro 1094 rubber coated steel shim .015" head gaskets to raise compression with the dish pistons in these engines. With 64cc heads and .041" gaskets, they said it was 9.1:1 CR. With the .015" gaskets, it raised the CR to 9.4:1.

So last week, I swapped head gaskets to the 1094's. Everything went smooth as silk. But, since getting done, I have an irritating rattle now. It's not the engine or anything, but something under the truck rattling because of the engine movement/power. The extra CR helped for sure with the power. You can tell it has just by the sound of the exhaust and feel of it. I have an idea of what it may be, but who knows. It's not really a rattle I guess. More like a tiny spring pecking against the tailpipe thing. Hard to explain. Not anything major, but still is there, you know?

If it kills me, I'll chase down all the little noise making things yet. Maybe if I would hurry and get my console installed I could crank up the CD's and hear the thump of the subs instead of something else getting on my last nerve.

Just wanted to vent a little. I feel better now.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 09:50 PM   #2
85Silverado

I hate to bring this up, but I have a '89 honda civic that i'm selling so I can do some stuff to the truck to get it running right....and safe (brakes!)...but maybe the upped compression makes more heat then before in the exhaust....when i run the civic hard and i'm at a stop light or when i shut it down...the exhaust makes little pecking noises as you put it. Maybe that's what it is...your exhaust heating up and expanded and shrinking and making the noise?

'78 C20 Scottsdale
350ci
3 speed with granny gear
14 bolt rearend

My trucks are "Car-Guy safe".......which pretty much means death trap in the hands of a normal civilian.
85Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 10:05 PM   #3
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

No, it's like a loose metal kind of thing. It comes and goes with the vibrations of everything. I remember hearing it before this. But I guess I didn't pay it any attention. One thing that makes it all worse is the Energy Suspension urethane motor mounts and tranny mount. The vibrations carry though to the cab worse now. The engine has a little bit of a rough idle with the cam anyway. Anything that can move will. With the CR higher, it makes the idle a little rougher of course. I think this is why I now hear where I didn't much before.

Ah, the joys of running a performance oriented truck. Don't get me wrong, I love this stuff, but flat out can't stand little pissy rattles and stuff.

Oh, and the buzzing noise I talked about before, the one I thought was the cap and rotor. Well, I put on a new MSD cap and rotor and guess what, it's still does it. I hate to say it, but I think it's internal to the MSD. Well, I know it is. I can watch the tach and notice when it buzzes, the tach will jump a couple hundred rpm. I guess it's time to pull it out again and start checking things. Damn, if it ain't one thing it's two. I don't need this crap this time of year.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 12-19-2002, 10:09 PM   #4
low 84

mike i had exactly what you were describing. it got to me so bad i took a sawzall to my exhaust. it was a tingy rattling noise that i got a certain rpm. at first i though it was a valve lock that had got dropped down into my header when i swaped the cam. so i took the exhaust off and shook the hell out of it but nothing was in it. then i thought it was the exhaust rattling on the axle where the tail pipes came over the axle so i cut the exhaust off right after the muffler (now its loud as hell) then i thought it was the tailgate rattling, nope.

what it turned out to be was the cat converter sheild thats bolted under the cab about where the driver seat is. it was every so slightly touching the exhaust pipe and making the most awful nosie. i just took one second and bent the sheild up a little with my hand and nerver ratteled again. it started happening when i unbolted my headers and bolted them back up after putting the new cam in. i think the exhaust shifted just enough to make it touch.

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 10:22 PM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

You know Ryan, I think you have nailed it. Last summer I had my exhaust redone, with the Hooker Aero Chamber mufflers. I had a hanger from my last exhaust and the guy used it back. I was under the truck a couple weeks ago and noticed the hanger was broken (rubber part). I took it off, thinking it was part of these noises. Since then, it's gotten worse.

Hear this all, I will put on some new hangers this weekend. That's exactly what it sounds like Ryan. Like the converter shield rattling.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 12-19-2002, 11:17 PM   #6
hrc200x

If that doesn't help and if you have an auto tranny maybe the tranny cooler lines are hitting something?

You guys have cats?
Old 12-19-2002, 11:50 PM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Yes, some of us have cats, and not the four legged kind. Sad, but true.

Not cooler lines for sure, I also installed stainless braided cooler lines and AN fittings so I know this isn't the problem.

I'll find out this weekend.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 12-20-2002, 12:21 AM   #8
low 84

Quote:
Originally posted by hrc200x
If that doesn't help and if you have an auto tranny maybe the tranny cooler lines are hitting something?

You guys have cats?
i said i had a cat shield, i didn't say i had cats

hope thats it mike. i know how those nosies get so annoying, now that my exhaust is so loud i probly have at least 5 rattles (tailgate, back slider window, glove box door, stuff behind seat, ect.) all this crap rattles when ever the truck is idling. i think i'll be switching the 40 series to areo chambers sometime

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 12:36 AM   #9
BigRed

Quote:
Originally posted by low 84

i said i had a cat shield, i didn't say i had cats

hope thats it mike. i know how those nosies get so annoying, now that my exhaust is so loud i probly have at least 5 rattles (tailgate, back slider window, glove box door, stuff behind seat, ect.) all this crap rattles when ever the truck is idling. i think i'll be switching the 40 series to areo chambers sometime
Ryan, I thought maybe I just had a crappy rear sliding window because mine makes terrible noise! I'm thinking maybe of getting a solid window, however in the summer it really helps (you know, I don't have AC). Anyway, the rattles bug the crap out of me too.

I've heard really good things about the Aero Chambers. I would have gone with them instead of the Dynomax Super Turbos, but at the time I didn't have the $$.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:47 AM   #10
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

my truck rattles worse than all you yous!!! over bumps of anykind the front end squeaks like mad, the sliding back window rattles, the glove box rattles, and the tailgate rattles.

it will all be fixed though soon enough i'll be putting in a solid back window because i hate the way the sliding ones look, and i may decide to weld up the tailgate. oh and the front end will be rebuilt too
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 12:49 AM   #11
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

oh yeah, when i get my new shortie headers, i'm gonna go ahead and get my exhaust redone since i'm gonna have my truck lowered. that way i wont have to worry about my collectors or my h-pipe dragging the ground. i'll be getting some aero chambers for it
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 07:20 AM   #12
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I'd be chamging to aero chambers as well after I get other stuff fixed up on my truck. Hands down they're so much better than flowmasters. I juts wish I knew about them as well before I bought my flowmasters Anyone want to buy them off me now so I can get some aerochambers

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 12:47 PM   #13
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

brandon: aero chambers eh? never heard of them.. explain!

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 02:35 PM   #14
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Mike- they're made by Hooker. Imagine a Borla crossed with a Flowmaster exhaust system. The deep throaty sound of the borla's with the rumble of the flowmasters in one. They're awesome sounding. I'm not sure if Dave (LOHRTBT) has a sound byte yet of them installed but once hearing his truck with that system I'm convinced on going with them next time. Plus they flow better as well as cheaper!!

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
Old 12-20-2002, 02:51 PM   #15
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Found it. Go down near the bottom and on the right side he has 2 MPG's of it. http://www.geocities.com/yudlooz.geo/lohrtbt.html

Old 12-20-2002, 04:06 PM   #16
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I also have Aero Chambers and love the sound. Flowmaster only wishes their tin cans sounded this good. A Flowmaster is one of the worst flowing mufflers there is. If you don't believe it, look through the end of one. You can't see out the other side at all. Look through a Aero Chamber, it's almost a straight through design, but is made in a way to chamber the sound so it is good and throaty sounding, without being well, tin canny sounding. No comparison.

Dave's is probably louder than mine since he has a true dual exhaust and stops in front of the rear end. I split my exhaust behind the cat and run two 2-1/2" pipes over the rear, with two Aero Chambers at the back. Works great and sound awesome. Best sounding muffler I've ever owned, and that is saying a lot because I tried a few different ones.

Damn, I know what I want now for Christmas. A new digital movie camera. Yeah right, like I'm going to be getting anything else. I guess I'll have to play Santa for myself. LOL

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 12-20-2002, 05:04 PM   #17
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Well, the buzzing noise I've been hearing, not this rattle, but the one I talked about it being in my MSD distributor, will be taken care of, maybe.

I just got off the phone with MSD tech support. The guy I talked to told me he hadn't heard of the noise I described to him. He named a few things that may possibly be causing it, but said it was strange to him. He told me to send it to them and they would put it on a machine to check it out. I said fine, but it was out of warranty and what would this cost. He said to put attention to his name on the package, with the date we talked and describe what we talked about on a note, and he would put it back under warranty for me. Now I ask you, how great is this? Can't beat this kind of service. Of course for what their stuff costs, they can afford to do this, right? Turn around time is 10-14 working days for the repair.

What is it I always say?? Oh yeah, you get what you pay for.

Wish me luck cause at the rate I'm going with noises lately, I need it.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 12-21-2002, 10:18 AM   #18
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Good Luck Mike. You can't beat something like that kind of service. Now if every place was that good.