The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2002, 08:30 PM   #1
Speedster 229

Question Gas filler neck and cap idea's

Does anyone have any good ideas for customizing the gas filler neck and cap without going to a rear tank?? I'm hung on keeping the spare tire in the stock location on my 70 1/2ton 2wd so I figure the tank behind the seat will also stay. Any ideas on making the filler neck and cap look better? Though of installing a marine filler & cap or maybe interior fill setup but I thought someone maybe had plowed this ground before and have some hints. Thanks in advance for any and all ideas.
Speedster 229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 01:45 PM   #2
Blue68

If you are hearty enough to weld on a gas tank, I would consider moving the tank more inboard (toward the passenger door) about 4 inches. I'd cut the current filler neck down and set a taper on it to accept a ruber filler hose. Then find a filler door that can be made to match the contour of the cab and a filler neck and cap that will fit behind it. Most cars today have the plastic part behind the door so you may have to weld up your own from some sheet metal.

Just keep in mind that any spillage and water needs to go somewhere and the plastic filler neck housings usually dump it behind the fenders. Not acceptable in the cab. So you would need to make sure you have enough pitch to dump it out and down the cab side. You would also need to come up with some way to seal the filler area in the cab agains fuel, water and vapors. This is pretty much why the neck extends outside the cab skin now.

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 11:32 AM   #3
Speedster 229

Thanks for the idea. We're thinking along the same lines. I didn't think about moving the tank oveer for more room. Good idea. I'm going to try to find a filler from a boat . They seem to be all metal so I could weld it to the cab. You would still see the cap but it would be flush and something different. Thanks again.
Speedster 229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 12:21 PM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Decisions, decisions, decisions....leave the tank in the cab, or move it under the bed....which way should you go? I don't like the smell of gas in the cab, so replacing the fuel lines and the filler neck should help. Okay, so maybe moving it will get that smell out of the cab....and make more room for speakers, since I like speakers in the back, to complement the front speakers. Okay, putting the tank under the bed costs me a place to keep the spare. So, I look and I have two different sizes of tires on my truck. I can only carry one spare under the bed. However, the bed is big enough for more than one. Now, I need to lock the bed to keep the spare tire/wheel secure. Now, I have to buy a bed cover.....fiberglass can be made to lock. Vinyl can be cut and thieves can take your stuff from the bed. So, leave the tank in the cab, and make a new filler for it. Where? Beneath the rear window? Use a van filler door? Is there room?

Dang, I think I'll just replace the fuel line and pick-up gasket and the filler hose and live with it. I should save enough to buy the fiberglass bed cover to lock up the spare tires and wheels that I don't have yet. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote