The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
Jim85IROC

Bed installation - parts I should have?

I'm in the process of taking the bed off my truck to replace the gas tanks, and maybe clean up the frame a bit while I'm under there.

Four of the bed carriage bolts spun while I was trying to remove them, so I need to repair the bed floor opening. I see in my Chevy Duty catalog that there are washers available with an offset square hole. Are these something that's already installed on the underside of the bed that I should plan on buying? I also noticed a bed mounting pad kit that I'll get. Aside from the bolts, nuts, washers and this pad kit, is there anything else that I should plan on buying?
My Sounddomain Page
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
RPOZ11
72 BB C30 Super LongHorn

Re: Bed installation - parts I should have?

What year truck are you working on to do the bed?
Is it this one in your avatar?

Ill be following this as I am looking at replacing the bed on my 73...

HO72 build :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=714492

2017 SS
RPOZ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
Jim85IROC

Yeah, it's an 87 1-ton long bed.
My Sounddomain Page
Old 08-13-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
LBJ

I think those offset washers are for the step side beds. LMC has all the replacement bolts in a set for the long bed. I checked my frame rails and they did not have the square mounting pads between the rails and the bed. Guess they could be a help to eliminate squeaks. You may have to try to touch up the bed where the bolt heads spun with a small hammer and dolly. If you take the bed off, replace the gasoline hoses at the tank top. They are probably old and need replacing. I put two hose clamps on each line to be sure they don't come off (one is a vent line). The only other way to get to them is taking the tank down, with the bed in place. While you're under there, check the cab bushings. Mine were in need or replacing very badly. A urethane set sells for around $60, depending on the year. Pretty easy for my 77, but watch out for the tranny linkage when you do the radiator mounts. Disconnect it or place the gear shift lever in low drive. There's a tutorial on another web site that gives a pretty good blow by blow guide for the pads. I'll have to go surfing my sites to find it, though. http://73-87.com/7387garage/exterior/cab_bushings.htm

Last edited by LBJ; 08-13-2007 at 01:35 PM.
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #5
Roper

If by chevy duty you mean classic parts, well I just ordered a bed bolt kit from them yesterday. When I took my bed off to replace my fuel tanks I twisted off a few of my bed bolts. 08527bolt kit is all you need for your truck. If your bolts spun its the cross channels in your bed floor that well need to be repaired. You will see what im talking about when you get your bed off. Its going to take some welding /fabrication or you can do like im going to do and replace the whole bed floor.
Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
RPOZ11
72 BB C30 Super LongHorn

Cool Re: Bed installation - parts I should have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
There's a tutorial on another web site that gives a pretty good blow by blow guide for the pads. http://73-87.com/7387garage/exterior/cab_bushings.htm
Good information here, Thanx!

HO72 build :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=714492

2017 SS
RPOZ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:15 PM   #7
Jim85IROC

While the bed is off I'm hoping to do some repairs to it anyway, but replacing the entire bed floor is a bit more ambitious than I need. I did plan on replacing a couple of the cross channels, but half of the bed bolts that spun did so in areas where there isn't any rust to the cross channels.

Speaking of cross channels, does anybody reproduce those or will I need to make my own?
My Sounddomain Page
Old 08-15-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
Roper

LMC sells cross channels but I have no idea about how finished they are. To save shipping I would simple make them myself or have them made up local. There isnt/cant be much to making them.
Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
LBJ

I agree with Roper,If you have a sheet metal shop in town, have them do some up and they will be of the proper thickness. LMC has replacement items, but I have found them to be much lighter that original GM parts. For instance, I ordered the front bed panel (opposite the tail gate) and it was about half the weight of the original. Once installed it is plenty rigid, but will not take the beating of the original. I use a shop that specializes in air conditioning ducts for my sheet metal projects. They can form just about anything, including things I swore they wouldn't have been able to do.
One further note, after the shop builds the basic shape, you may have to cut some notches or drill some holes for the final product. Do this yourself or they may charge quite a bit. You can get a better fit too by doing it at the truck.

I did note in Classic (Chevy) Parts catalog, or classicparts.com, they specify that their front bed panels are the EXACT thickness of the originals. You might question them to see if all their stuff is to original specs. However, I don't see a listing on cross channels.
LBJ

Last edited by LBJ; 08-15-2007 at 01:00 PM.
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:24 PM   #10
Jim85IROC

the only shop that can bend up stuff like that for me thinks their services are far more valuable than they really are. I have a small metal brake, but I would rather not make each cross piece in 3 pieces. I can't see anything on the goodmark website, but tonight I'll have to check my catalog. I'm a goodmark dealer so I can get thier stuff fairly inexpensively, although the shipping costs usually kill me.
My Sounddomain Page