The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2007, 02:48 AM   #26
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Re: my battery is draining

forget about the first pictures i posted. the very last picture is where the problem is at.

the 2 wires in the crimp connector are now soldered up nice and neat. the other bare wire in front of them was wired up with them before when it shouldnt have been. that wire now needs to be tied into a switched source. i'm just not sure where it originally was tied into. i know i can just use any switched wire, but i want to make it as nice as possible
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:14 AM   #27
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Then, maybe I'm not following you. I was to understand that the blower motor was causing the drain due to mis-wiring.

You probably right in that the wire may be the causing the problem. But, I questioned whether it should be connected to switched power. Where is this wire coming from or going to?

You mentioned that everything (including the A/C?) work correctly when you connect it to switched power. What happens if you leave it disconnected?

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:22 AM   #28
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post
Then, maybe I'm not following you. I was to understand that the blower motor was causing the drain due to mis-wiring.

You probably right in that the wire may be the causing the problem. But, I questioned whether it should be connected to switched power. Where is this wire coming from or going to?

You mentioned that everything (including the A/C?) work correctly when you connect it to switched power. What happens if you leave it disconnected?
in the first picture i posted. the connector on the big bundle of wires. that wire is running to the fuse box. the wire in the last picture is coming FROM the fuse box. they are on teh same circuit. it was wired up to battery when it should be wired up to switched.

that wire in the last picture was connected to the full battery along with the other two wires in the picture. when it was like that, the hvac was always drawing power while in an "on" position(even though the fan didnt blow).
with the wire disconnected from everything like it is in the picture, the hvac controls do not work at all.
if i run that wire to an ignition source, the hvac controls work exactly as they should, only when the ignition is on.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #29
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

so, any one know the factory place that wire ran to?
Old 07-08-2007, 11:29 PM   #30
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

come on someone! this is all i need to finish up my wiring!!!

i'm needing to know where the bare wire is supposed to go to. it needs +12v switched and i dont want to just tap into anything, i want it to run to the most correct stock location possible

Old 07-09-2007, 12:38 AM   #31
boxrodz

ocbaud-

I'm been thinking 'bout this and I think I'm following you. As I said before, I believe the wire with the connector running to the fuse box in the first picture should be getting power from a ignition source. But, it doesn't unless the bare wire in the last picture is connected to a ignition source as you temporary tested. It almost sounds as though the ignition source on the fuse box does not work.? If the bare wire was connected to constant power, then I would imagine that all circuits would work without the ignition switch set to the ON postion (like the turn signals, wipers, radio, ...)

To answer your question, maybe run a short jumper from the terminal where other end of the bare wire is attached to the ignition source you connected it to earlier. But, I'm still thinking something is amiss with the ignition source on the fuse box. But, then again ???

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
Old 07-09-2007, 12:47 AM   #32
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

i'm assuming this is what it looks like

the wire goes from the hvac controls to the back of the fuse box and connects to the termial of the heater fuse.
another wire is connected to the other terminal of the heater fuse(thus the fuse connects the terminals) and runs out the firewall and is the bare wire pictured.

that is how i assume it is wired up because thats exactly how it is working. i just need to know where is the best place to tie that bare wire into the ignition circuit. i dont want to just tap it into any ignition wire though.

Last edited by ocbaud; 07-09-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 PM   #33
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Please!
Old 07-10-2007, 01:53 AM   #34
boxrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocbaud View Post
i'm assuming this is what it looks like

the wire goes from the hvac controls to the back of the fuse box and connects to the termial of the heater fuse.
another wire is connected to the other terminal of the heater fuse(thus the fuse connects the terminals) and runs out the firewall and is the bare wire pictured.

that is how i assume it is wired up because thats exactly how it is working. i just need to know where is the best place to tie that bare wire into the ignition circuit. i dont want to just tap it into any ignition wire though.
That's how I'm picturing it as well. But, I'm not sure why it's exposed on the engine bay side of the firewall instead of the inside the cab under the dash. If it is wired as you drew it, then the bare wire (orange?) should probably be running under the dash to the ignition switch. It is sliced into terminal 'IGN 3" of the 9-terminal connector. This terminal may also have another 'orange' wire that is tapped into it as well. See diagram below.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2007, 01:52 AM   #35
littlja

Thumbs up Re: my battery is draining

thx to everyone for sticking w/ this thread - helped me solve the exact same headache on my truck also - babyarm
littlja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:52 AM   #36
littlja

Thumbs up Re: my battery is draining

thx to everyone for sticking w/ this thread - helped me solve the exact same headache on my truck also - babyarm
littlja is offline   Reply With Quote