The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
Mark Smith

4WD Small Block to Big Block Engine Swap

Hello everyone,

I have a 1971 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD. This is a frame off restoration project. The engine mount stands are gone from the frame rails. I need to know what engine stand will work for the 502 CID big block I am going to drop in?
I had no idea it would be this difficult to find something that will work. So far I have been told there were no 4WD 1971 GMC pickups with big blocks in them to begin with. Can anyone tell me if there is a kit out there or where to get what I need to do this conversion? Thank you in advance. My email is mksmith@trinitypetroleum.com. My cell phone is 414-378-9234
Mark Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
combustion

Re: 4WD Small Block to Big Block Engine Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a 1971 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD. This is a frame off restoration project. The engine mount stands are gone from the frame rails. I need to know what engine stand will work for the 502 CID big block I am going to drop in?
I had no idea it would be this difficult to find something that will work. So far I have been told there were no 4WD 1971 GMC pickups with big blocks in them to begin with. Can anyone tell me if there is a kit out there or where to get what I need to do this conversion? Thank you in advance. My email is mksmith@trinitypetroleum.com. My cell phone is 414-378-9234
what kind of tranny are you using? it will be a bolt in if youre using just about any chevy trans. i would make custom towers that clear the exhaust and use smc mounts just to be sure.
If it`s 3.73 ratio you will spint the wheel 100 times to the driveshaft`s 373 times.Or,if you`re lazy,you could just spin the wheel once and the driveshaft will spin 3.73 times.Or, 3 and 3/4 turns.And if you`re real lazy,I can sell you a tab for whatever ratio you want.
Or,you could read all the suggestions and try those.It`s been well explained,I think,already.
combustion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:12 AM   #3
earl87gta

Re: 4WD Small Block to Big Block Engine Swap

Diy 4x4 make one and so does off road design ether kit is good but diy is a little cheaper.