The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
64GMCHorsepower
Justified!

push button start

I would like to have a push button start...can anyone recommend which push button to use...I looked at Autozone, and the ones thay had stuck out really far, and were ugggggllllyyyyyy!!!

Anyway, if you have one, or know of what I could use...let me know please...

Thanks

Chad

1964 GMC Fleetside Shortbed....350/700R4 tranny
64GMCHorsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
7T7
Regular guy

Re: push button start

Try here.......
http://www.ronfrancis.com/switches.htm
Edelbrock MPFI, 700r4, Baer Brakes
9" F@rd rear, Vintage air, Bags etc etc..
7T7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:16 PM   #3
salazar44
65 - Chevy C10

I like those! How are they used properly? As far as wiring to what? How do other components know when its on acc and etc.?
salazar44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
nuke1

Autoloc makes one also, i like them, used one once in a customers car. very nice.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
64GMCHorsepower
Justified!

I really like that...I took a quick glance at the site, and he has some sweet stuff.......

I need to read up alitlle bit more on what he has, and how to utilize it....

I have the same questions as Sal....how does it know its in ACC .....?

Thanks 7T7

Chad

Old 07-26-2007, 02:49 AM   #6
Stepside65
Still Truckless!

Very nice. If you're going to run a push button start you might want to also install a switch somewhere out of sight but easy for you to reach to help prevent theft. Without it any punk could just bash in your window and make off with your truck. Just make sure that you turn the switch off before you get out of the truck. I'd hate to hear about one of our trucks being stolen. Just a thought Chad.
1997 Nissan Pickup Father-in-law's tonka toy I am forced to drive
Founder of The 60-66 Club

Tutor Et Ultor
Stepside65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:16 AM   #7
GMC Jim

you will find high qualiy push button switches at most any marine parts retailer. I have used many marine parts thru the years and have found the waterproof construction, brass cases and finish to be superb. List includes,switches, horns, relays and have a marine 0-6000 tach in my truck.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:03 AM   #8
19GMC63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside65 View Post
Very nice. If you're going to run a push button start you might want to also install a switch somewhere out of sight but easy for you to reach to help prevent theft. Without it any punk could just bash in your window and make off with your truck. Just make sure that you turn the switch off before you get out of the truck. I'd hate to hear about one of our trucks being stolen. Just a thought Chad.
Thats a good idea. What would be really neat would be to move your current igniton switch under the dash somewhere out of sight. Then wire it so when put to the acc position, it supplys power to the push button or something.
19GMC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:25 AM   #9
64GMCHorsepower
Justified!

I thought about keeping the key, just taking off the start wire, and moving it to the push button.....

I just like the idea of pushing a button and it starts...........

I also have been reading up on using a prox switch for a key, witha magnetic receiver on the dash......but I think I will stick to a key for a while.....

I am definately going to put a main disconnect on the truc under the dash maybe.......I don't want it stolen after all the hard work my Son and I put into it.......

Chad

Old 07-26-2007, 08:59 PM   #10
ClassicAutoResto
Rust Buster

A Borg-Warner (BWD) Part # PB4 is an aluminum push button switch that sticks out about 1/2 an inch and is about 3/8 in diameter. It has a round collar on the front, goes through the dash and has a jamb nut on the back. Well built and about 8-10 dollars depending on the supplier. Jerry
ClassicAutoResto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:31 AM   #11
rickf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GMCHorsepower View Post
I thought about keeping the key, just taking off the start wire, and moving it to the push button.....

I just like the idea of pushing a button and it starts...........

I also have been reading up on using a prox switch for a key, witha magnetic receiver on the dash......but I think I will stick to a key for a while.....

I am definately going to put a main disconnect on the truc under the dash maybe.......I don't want it stolen after all the hard work my Son and I put into it.......

Chad

I've thought about that same thing (the main disconnect). I've been thinking about running all power except the starter high power line through a marine 65 AMP continuous duty solenoid. But then, if they find no power at all, they might be ballsy enough to go look under the hood. Better maybe would be to have a disconnect only for the starter, so dash guages and lights power up, but it just won't start. Mybe they'd figure its messed up and abandon the project.

I also thought about building a throttle link with marine quick connect fittings. With it out, they could start it, but maybe get discouraged when they got nothing but idle.
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:59 AM   #12
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

A push button start just runs the starter via the starter solenoid. You need another switch to turn the electrics of the rest of the truck on to keep it running, etc.

If you know nothing about electrical work and you just want to be cool, don't do it. You aren't. I'm not either if that helps...

If you want one to hide the start part to keep it from being stolen, etc. you can use a small relay to run the current...

You just need to rewire the ignition switch so you can use the key (or toggle switch, etc.) to turn on the basics, and a push button switch to run the starter solenoid, with or without a relay. Have a look at a wiring diagram for your truck.

If you don't have a wiring diagran, or don't understand it. Leave the thing alone...

Last edited by 72lb4x4; 07-27-2007 at 04:17 AM.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:03 AM   #13
64GMCHorsepower
Justified!

gee, thanks...

I do know electrical, I know how to read a print, and it is cool.....

Old 08-16-2007, 09:08 PM   #14
Solego
Dr. Frankentruck's Monster

Getting a push button switch specifically made for this use should be all you need. Pull the wire the wire off the ignition that runs to your solenoid, connect it to the switch, and then ground it. All the ignition does is close the circuit to the solenoid temporarily while you hold it in the start position till it runs. You would still have to use the key and turn it to "run". But if you're like me and only plan use this as an anti-theft device, it's the most inexpensive and most effective technique. Just hide the button under the dash.

I haven't done it yet, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But it's basic electrical theory. If I'm wrong please tell me. I'm all for constructive criticism.

Project SLOMO
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430494

Last edited by Solego; 08-16-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Solego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:21 PM   #15
Low-Rider

Honda uses a push button ignition in there S2000, you can go to the dealership and order one for around 30 bucks.
Attached Images

Low-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:29 AM   #16
jonathan-m

Heres mine (bad picture of the instrument cluster though ). just put the key in, and hit the button.Its actually pretty cool

When I first bought my truck, that button was already installed, it just ran to a big ol' horn system that plays Dixie.....
I'm not much of a fan of that tune, so I disconnected it and we rewired it so that the button would still have a purpose.

Jon
jonathan-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:12 PM   #17
64GMCHorsepower
Justified!

I really like the Honda button.....but I might be able to get one from work, that way I have a heavy duty one with the start on the button too....

Allen Bradley momentary push button.....We replace them all the time....

Old 08-17-2007, 09:19 PM   #18
magooster
'65 GMC Project

Ignited performance products makes some cool ones. Not sure how it would install cause it looks like it replaces the cigarette lighter or something.
http://www.ignitedperformance.com/index2.html

1965 GMC project
1999 GMC Safari (daily driver)
2005 Scion XB (Wifey's car)
magooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:46 PM   #19
72_ventura

i used the one at auto zone and did not have any trouble hooked up a ford solenoid it is pretty trick because you can hook the push button up out in the engine bay and start the motor from outside the cab as long as you have the key turned on inside
72_ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:03 PM   #20
Lated

I used a push button to wire around my ignition switch a while back because the switch was shorting to ground and I was too broke to buy a new one (I already had the button from when my horn had stopped working). I just ran a wire from the positive terminal of the battery at the terminal on the fender to the switch and then to the starter solenoid. It worked great. I mounted the button right underneath the ignition switch so I could just turn the key on and then hit the button. If you wire it up this way though it will crank without the key turned on, it just won't start/run. There was more than one occasion where I didn't turn the key on and hit the button and then couldn't figure out why the engine wouldn't start. I know Summit sells a button that is made specifically for a push start with screw terminals (I used one for the power button on a custom computer I made in college) http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku for $8. They also sell one that looks identical to it but is made by Painless and has wire leads already installed but otherwise looks to be identical for $25.http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

'70 SWB Step-Side (More rust than metal)
Lated is offline   Reply With Quote