The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
acl

please help a/c kicking my b*tt

I'm trying to install vintage air sure fit in to my 68 short bed. Let me start by saying I am not the most experienced or talanted tool user but trying none the less. I have gotten a little ahead of myself andd looking for help. I have ordered, and welded 3 patch panels into the firewall to cover hole left by heater core.I have also bought a billet bulkhead for this to make things look pretty. Now the problem, The a/c unit needs to protrude thru the firewall a inch or two in one of the holes I patched shut. (Iknow great planning) The fit of the a/c unit is so tight I see know way to use any bulkhead let alone not use the funky black firewall cover Vintage air sent me. Can someone please help. Unfortunatly I hope some one else has had this problem and give me a hint. If i have to remove the patch panel I will but I am looking for anyway not to use the cover v.a. sent . They Close at 4 on Fridays so Idon't want to wait til monday if someone can assist me If you want I am willing to call you if you p.m. me if that would be eaiser. Thanks
Gary
acl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #2
acl

Re: please help a/c kicking my b*tt

Is there any ? I can answer to to help explain my problem better? I really don't know what to do.
Gary
Old 08-18-2007, 10:54 PM   #3
Richard H.
Spanked once

Gary, at the top of this page is a place to search this forum , what you need is probably there or check FAQ's at the top.
Richard H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:00 PM   #4
see ten
WTB this ad

Hmm, I can't believe no one has any ideas for ya. I've never tried one where the firewall has been smoothed. I do know what you're talking about as far as the hard lines protruding a bit through the firewall. Sounds like you're going to have to mark where the lines are touching the firewall and start clearancing for them. Of course like you said there is still no guarantee your billet bulkhead is going to work. I agree the plastic cover doesn't look the greatest but compared to the factory box that was there.........It looks pretty good. Either way here's a free TTT for ya.

see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:06 PM   #5
Richard H.
Spanked once

Little late,,,
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=vintage
Richard H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
acl

the plastic cover they sent me dos not conform with the pattern of my tubes. i got a 2 on top 2 on bottom. The tubes on my unit are the pattern the of your cover 3 inline, 1 on the side. I am so confused
gary
Old 08-19-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
see ten
WTB this ad

Here's what my cover for the non air control truck looks like. Either way it sounds like you need to call a tech at vintage air and see if you can get things worked out. I have installed several of these systems and never had any problems. Does the contents list match what you had in your boxes including the part #s? Who did you purchase it from? I have bought mine (and always reccomend to buy) directly from Vintage Air. It just cuts out the middle man if you ever have a problem.

see ten is offline   Reply With Quote