The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
Rust Buster

Anyone with Vortec heads and headers?

Do any of you 4x4 guys run vortec heads and headers? I'm at the stage in my build where I need to start thinking about headers. It's a 72 K20 with an HT383 and NV4500 setup. I'll be running Mass-Flo EFI and they suggested maybe doing shorty headers because it is better to have the O2 sensor in place close to the manifold in the collector so it reads all cylinders. I've always wanted to try a pair of Doug Thorley's though.

Anyway, looking to see what you run that fits. Can't go by any of the application guides now that the truck is not stock.
Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
71 K10 LWB
52 Dodge Power Wagon
67 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon
48 Dodge WDX Power Wagon

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=239487
Rust Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:17 AM   #2
Blazer1970

Re: Anyone with Vortec heads and headers?

Vortec heads have the same exhaust outlets and bolt pattern as the original heads that were used on these trucks. When specifying headers, you can use the original year of the truck.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
hardline_42

Shorty headers on a 4x4 with Vortec heads would be a mistake, IMO. Vortec heads are great because of their incredible low to mid lift flow right from the factory. You want to take advantage of that with an exhaust design that will maximize scavenging and velocity - that means long tube headers with small primaries (1 5/8"), an X-pipe and a relatively small diameter exhaust (2.25" - 2.5"). I wouldn't worry too much about O2 sensor placement. Plenty of 4th gen F-body guys switch to long tubes on their LT1's and do just fine with an extension harness to the new collector location. As far as application, any Gen I SBC headers that fit your vehicle will fit Vortec heads.
hardline_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
pumpkin

The reason they try and keep the o2 close is to keep it hot. The way around this with long tube headers is to wire in a 4 wire o2, this is a heated o2, so it goes int closed loop quicker, and the distance from the heat isn't as critical.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Rust Buster

Great info guys, thank you!
So...any specific suggestions for long tube headers? I saw an HT383 build in a Hot Rod or some magazine and they used Hooker Competition headers.
Any thoughts? I'll definitely go with ceramic coated. Any Thorley users out there?
71 K10 LWB
52 Dodge Power Wagon
67 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon
48 Dodge WDX Power Wagon

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=239487
Rust Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
hardline_42

I'm a big fan of Hooker Super Comp headers but even a lowly set of Summit brand long tubes will get you gains. If you have the tools, you can get a cheap set of painted headers, blast them clean, coat them with Anti-Seize (yes, Anti-Seize) and heat cycle them a couple of times. Spray the inside with a couple cans of VHT Hi-Temp ceramic white paint and you have a low buck alternative to ceramic coating. Also, the 3-wire O2 sensor is a good idea and only a little more expensive than the standard ones.
hardline_42 is offline   Reply With Quote