The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Roller rockers & stock valve covers…..

I need to know if stock covers will fit with roller rockers. The guy at summit says they will if I double up the gasket. How much do I really need? I got some sweet looking stock valve covers, and I don’t want to have to sell them.
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 10-04-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
bad_turbo
turbo enthusiast

Re: Roller rockers & stock valve covers…..

Great looking valve covers!! I had some Dart heads on my small block with roller rockers and had no trouble with clearance for stock valve covers.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_turbo View Post
Great looking valve covers!! I had some Dart heads on my small block with roller rockers and had no trouble with clearance for stock valve covers.
The valve covers you used were different than mine, but what rockers did you use? I really hope I can squeeze rocker under my stock covers....with out stacking a ton of crap under them.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
Ram-Man

Edelbrock makes a valve cover gasket that is 5/16" thick. No need to stack them. Summit carries them.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:50 PM   #5
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram-Man View Post
Edelbrock makes a valve cover gasket that is 5/16" thick. No need to stack them. Summit carries them.
Is that all I'm going to need to to fit roller rockers under stock v-covers?
thanks!
s/t
Old 08-20-2007, 01:51 AM   #6
BurnoutNova

my truck has comp roller rockers and stock valve covers.. never had a probleom yet
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:00 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

What`s the ratio on the arms?I believe 1.5s will work,but designs vary,Do you have them selected?Sorry,I don`t know where you`re at with your build lately.Is it all done and you`re just wanting to put those on it?I was just looking at the Summit book wondering the same thing.I`m dropping a 327 off at my machinist this evening and it hit me that I had better start ordering some parts or at least tell him what I want.I`m going to tell him what I want from the motor and listen to his recommendations.But,I know I don`t want tall valve covers.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutNova View Post
my truck has comp roller rockers and stock valve covers.. never had a probleom yet
Are your heads stock cast iron? What’s the part # on the comp roller rockers?
Thanks!!
s/t
Old 08-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #9
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
What`s the ratio on the arms?I believe 1.5s will work,but designs vary,Do you have them selected?Sorry,I don`t know where you`re at with your build lately.Is it all done and you`re just wanting to put those on it?I was just looking at the Summit book wondering the same thing.I`m dropping a 327 off at my machinist this evening and it hit me that I had better start ordering some parts or at least tell him what I want.I`m going to tell him what I want from the motor and listen to his recommendations.But,I know I don`t want tall valve covers.
I’m going to stay with 1.5 unless someone can change my mind. I really want this to look stock (keep the stock v-covers).

My motor isn’t in yet…too busy. I was going to paint the frame under the engine, but I’m thinking it won’t look right unless I un-bolt some components like a-arms, fuel lines etc.
I’m definitely going to paint the firewall before I put the engine back in.
s/t
Old 08-20-2007, 11:32 AM   #10
hyarbour

If worse comes to worse, Summit has valve cover spacers that'll raise them about an inch. I put them on mine mostly because I hate the mess when I have to test run it with the covers off.
hyarbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #11
Richard H.
Spanked once

Might be a problem if the rockers have poly-locs.
In April I decided to renew every thing up front on my truck But I have great help.
Attached Images

Richard H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:45 PM   #12
CST*TEN in Katy

Be sure you don't put the stock valve covers on upside down or you WILL knock holes in them. I did with a .440 lift cam and stock stamped rockers, even with the fat gasket.
1992 SC400 pimp ricer
CST*TEN in Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:27 PM   #13
Schralper

I run 1.6 intake/1.5 exhaust rockers, Comp and Crane w/ .510+ lift roller cam.
The stock Crane locks are a lil big on the top, just dimpled the stock v.c w/ thick felpro gasket. ARP Permalocs work great and fit fine.
I've been running the stock covers for the sleeper look but cast Al are WAY quieter! Especially w/ roller cam and rockers.
Schralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:39 PM   #14
BurnoutNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport/Truck View Post
Are your heads stock cast iron? What’s the part # on the comp roller rockers?
Thanks!!
s/t
i have the facory heads on my k10... i think there 993's?? its been a couple years since i biult it. the comp rockers are the roller tips, with polylocks, otherwise the motor is stock.

on my nova, i have harland sharp 1.5 ratio full roller rockers and for a while ran stock corvette valve covers, and a friend of mine has a 86 k10 with proform roller rockers and stock orange covers and there fine. he has polylocks also

if your running 1.5" you dont have anything to worry about, hell i be 1.6" would even clear. you should only need tall covers if your running stud girdles
Old 08-20-2007, 10:32 PM   #15
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutNova View Post
i have the facory heads on my k10... i think there 993's?? its been a couple years since i biult it. the comp rockers are the roller tips, with polylocks, otherwise the motor is stock.

on my nova, i have harland sharp 1.5 ratio full roller rockers and for a while ran stock corvette valve covers, and a friend of mine has a 86 k10 with proform roller rockers and stock orange covers and there fine. he has polylocks also

if your running 1.5" you dont have anything to worry about, hell i be 1.6" would even clear. you should only need tall covers if your running stud girdles
Thanks for the clarification B/N. So the Comp cams are only roller tipped?
I went to the local shop Checker Auto. They had some comp cams cast aluminum roller rockers $$280. They also had some proform ($150) like you mentioned- they are a better quality extruded aluminum. Are the proforms any good? Anyone else running these?
s/t
Old 08-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #16
BurnoutNova

ive ran proforms, and a few of my friends still do. there fine quality. the only thing i diodnt like is the polylocks that come with them. mine kept backing off so i got some new ones, but other than that they were great.

and yes my comp rockers are just roller tiped. i didnt even plan on using them on my truck, but i had them laying around so i used them
Old 08-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #17
84_chevrolet
Truck CRAZY!

Cool Re: Roller rockers & stock valve covers…..

I have 1.6 roller rockers on a 350 with the centerbolt valve covers and they dont hit. It also has a .500 lift cam in it too.
84 Chevrolet stepside, 350 with .60 over pistons, aluminum zr1 heads, doug herbert .500 lift cam, 1.6 roller rockers, elderbrock intake with a 600 holley carb, mated to a 700r4, 208t-case and 4-11 gears,33 goodyear wrangler mtrs
84_chevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote