The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2002, 05:37 PM   #1
85Silverado

Exclamation How many times has your truck tried to kill you

I've owned my truck since Dec 3rd 2002 and it just tried to kill me today...the throttle stuck open and i was coming up on an intersection...thank god this isn't the first time it happened to me...soon as i noticed the ignition got cut and i hammed on the brakes and pulled it over....turns out one of the little vac hoses i took off from the smog equipment today got caught near the throttle linkage and managed to get jammed in it about 4 blocks from my house.

This isn't looking good....haven't even owned her a month and she already tried to kill me..hehe

'78 C20 Scottsdale
350ci
3 speed with granny gear
14 bolt rearend

My trucks are "Car-Guy safe".......which pretty much means death trap in the hands of a normal civilian.
85Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 06:01 PM   #2
Tom
driving is in my blood

Well on my 78, it snapped the front brake line once while off roading [before the drop kit] and it lost brakes on the way home. Thank god for a granny low first gear manual tranny! Throw it in 1st, let go of the clutch and BRRRRRRRRRRR you stop quick
It also tried killing me every time I hit the gas pedal and that massivly powerfull and fun engine came to life
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 06:16 PM   #3
PHOENIX

Tom that is one of the good sides of the fo-siks-phive. BRRRRRRRRR you stop quick. Its really sounds like that too!

My truck only tried to kill me once that I can think of right now. I was trying to make a jump across Thomas near my house. Well traffic was busy, it was a Friday night and a concert was going on at the pavilion just up the street (can't remember who was playing). Anyway I seen a little gap in traffic so I punch it. I get half way across and my ignition module decides it isnt going to work anymore. To make a long story short I almost got hit by 2 euro's racing from the stop light. That would have really really pissed me off.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:18 PM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Not my truck, but once a very long time ago, I owned a 68 Plymouth Roadrunner. Coming home from work one day, through a busy part of town. Coming up on a stop light, with a very brand new car in front of me. Hit the brakes when the changed to red and the pedal went to the floor. Let me tell you, for anyone who calls emergency brakes, park brakes, they are full of it. It was an emergency and I damned sure used them. Don't think for a minute if you slam on the emergency brake pedal you won't come to a complete neck snapping stop. I drove 15 miles the rest of the way home using the emergency brake to stop with. I was getting pretty danged good at by the time I got there.

It was a left front brake hose that busted on me when I hit the brakes. Scared the shat out of me before I forget. I've got a million stories I could tell about some of the junk I've drove in my life time. Believe you me, I know what it's like to not have any money to keep a ride going the proper way. I used to live in junk yards searching for good used parts. It's not one bit of fun either. Matter of fact, it is on the sucky side.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 06:39 PM   #5
PHOENIX

Thats makes me think. I really need to replace the rubber brake lines before something happens to me and my truck

knocked on some wood!
Old 12-18-2002, 06:55 PM   #6
mckpaul

Hey Paul -

Drive carefully out there! I need my parts! hehe

1984 Chevy C-10
*LWB/305*
mckpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 07:01 PM   #7
pkbinplano
pkbinplano

Had a 72 Delta 88, backed it up on to curb, blocked frony wheels to pull drive shaft. Pulled shaft and it rolls back. I was under it.
Luckily only rolled enough to pin me not hurt me. Saw my life pass. (no e-brake)
Old 12-18-2002, 07:04 PM   #8
85Silverado

lol...your parts are already off the truck Paul

'78 C20 Scottsdale
350ci
3 speed with granny gear
14 bolt rearend

My trucks are "Car-Guy safe".......which pretty much means death trap in the hands of a normal civilian.
85Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 07:24 PM   #9
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Man, talk about taking out the driveshaft, poor Tim over at CT knows all about taking out the driveshaft with the truck on the gound. His rolled down a steep hill, across a road, into the ditch on the other side. Bent his frame and put a big hump in the bed. His reese hitch dug in the ground and killed it.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 07:49 PM   #10
Tom
driving is in my blood

LOL I feel bad for poor tim, but that story always makes me laugh! Just like the time I backed a single engine 4 person high performance airplane into my truck
Old 12-19-2002, 01:58 AM   #11
Hooter
My other Love

when I first got my 77 it tried to kill me. It was mad because it still had Bald Bias ply tires on it

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 02:27 AM   #12
chevychic

I've never had a vehicle almost kill me. It was usually me that almost killed me....
I was 16 driving my mom's Dodge Colt and turned the corner on an icy day and did a nicely manuevered 180 between parked cars on either side of a narrow street. I felt like I was in the ice capades. Ok, so that one wasn't really my fault, but this one was...
I was driving my Mazda MX-6 to work one day, a co-worker and I were racing and playing leap frog on the interstate. We get off the free way, I was behind him and we were hauling ass. A rottweiler comes out of nowhere and I hit the brakes on the wet pavement. I locked those brakes up real nicely and did a 360 then ended up in the ditch backwards. My friend saw it in his rearview mirror and was amazed that I didn't do any damage to it. Just a couple of scrapes on the under carriage where I hit the ditch. I felt like a complete fool because I know better than to hit the brakes like that.

Tom, you're going have to tell me that plane story sometime. Was that one of your rare dorky moments you were telling me about?

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 11:38 AM   #13
PHOENIX

Yeah I would like to hear how you backed a plane into your truck.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:56 PM   #14
Tom
driving is in my blood

Sorry guys the plane story is off limits
I wll admit it was my fault. There wasent much damage, Plus this was in my aviation class, so it just gave me another project to do [along with making the cobra gunship run]
Old 12-19-2002, 03:22 PM   #15
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Thank goodness my trucks have never tried to kill me. I did have an 80 cutlass we dropped a 400 in, that car liked to eat master cylinders. Nothing like going to step on the brake and ................... happened 4 times all new ones, finally got one that decided to work.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 06:24 PM   #16
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

killin me

my cars and trucks have never tried to kill me, but every so often one bites me cutting me on one of the many rusty parts lol

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 07:02 AM   #17
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

When I owned my 74 K-5 Blazer a few years ago it tried to freeze me, electricuted and catch me on fire at different times. On a trip to take some college girl friends home me and a buddy loaded up in the balzer and drove 3-4 hours one way in the cold and snow. The blazer had no heater (core was shot) and had crappy window gaskets (remember whole top came off on this truck) and the back window could never stay up. It was really cold that trip up and back in the same night. Stupid things you do for a best friend that's in love
The time I almost got burned and electricuted, well I did get burned actually caught on fire was driving to a gas station with the top off the truck (loved that part ) and the temp gauge climbing high fast and truck running like it was running out of gas. I pulled over and looked out and down to see flames coming out from under the front fenders (was at night so easy to see). I jumped out and my little brother jumped out as well. Before I got out I popped my hood to where it would open but still latched. Bad move!! When I got to the front of the truck I heard a WOOOOOOOSH!!!! like a sucking in of air. Looking back if you've ever seen the movie "BackDraft" you know the sound and what happened next. Well I popped the hood teh rest of the way and flung it open. The flames came straight at me and my face. I closed my eyes and pulled away right when they came towards me. My brother helped me back out of the way after the flame moved back in the engine compartment and started patting the fire out on me. My T-shirt was scorched, my hat was burnt pretty good, and my eyebrows singed. About that time a few teenagers that had been having a party down the street came out and after getting them to bring some water from their pool with three 5 gallon buckets of water I threw the first one on. Took out most of the flames. By this time the asbestos seal on the hood that was supposed to not catch fire was on fire and crumbling. THe 2nd bucket went on and got all but a little of the flames. Last one went on and this is where it gets really scary. I was throwing the water on the engine and when I started to toss the water I saw electric sparks. I let go out that plastic bucket with water and saw so many sparks (wires were exposed from the flames) it scared the sh*t out of me!! Right then I went over and sat on the ground. I almost could havve died twice no less, and my truck was in no condition to drive. Well we sold the truck later on as is and a few month later the "Tootsie Roll" came into my life

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 01:54 PM   #18
PHOENIX

And I thought I wanted a Blazer. What the f*ck was I thinking
Old 12-20-2002, 02:41 PM   #19
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

LMFAO!!! They're fun for sure but I won't get another one to replace a truck.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 06:14 AM   #20
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Try having the throttle return spring break on you. Mine did it two days ago!! Luckly I saved the original one I took off. I had just had it hanging on the radiator support. Once I found the problem I reinstalled the double stock spring back and problem solved. My problem was that I removed the inner spring on a performance type return spring. The remaining spring only lasted two years. The entire end just snapped off! I could not believe my eyes. I'll be using a double spring return spring from now on.
Old 12-22-2002, 04:14 PM   #21
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

my 74 hasnt tried to kill me,the 78 i had before might have a few times but i dont recall and the 78 SWB prior to it i think i tried to kill it myself i hated that damn truck so bad.the SWB did try to kill me a couple times though

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 04:40 PM   #22
68 Stepside
huh?

I've pulled a few smoothies in my time...like the time I had my 77 monte carlo wound up out in the country, in the middle of the night. I had the 100 MPH speedo wound back to 0, and BAM! the right front tire blew....luckily, I veered between two telephone poles, through a shallow ditch, and into a field....that car hated me.

My 66 3/4 ton chevy was scary as well. It had a slow brake leak, with a single master cylinder, no floors, no cab mounts, and the left rear upper spring cup (coil sprung) had rotted off. The carb on the little inline was shot, and liked to catch fire quite often too. What a death trap...would lose brakes, and catch fire, often at the same time...lol Luckily, it had a 5.13 rearend gear, so I couldn't really go fast enough to kill myself
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 08:53 AM   #23
pkbinplano
pkbinplano

My 84 doesn't have a double return spring. Just a single. Maybe thats why its harder than I like it ,to push the gas pedal. Will have to get one.