The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
Batman

Anti-Sway bar

I have searched through and found really good pics on how to install, and some differing opinions. My 4x4 is going to see off-roading around the next side of never. I'm just starting to learn about Chevy trucks, and noticed my '72 doesn't have any anti-sway bars, then found here that none of the 4x4s had 'em then. I have run across an opportunity to get a front sway bar from and 84-ish 3/4-ton for free. I'm planning to grab all the mounting hardware, and I'll probably trade axle plates with the guy so we have the ones we want. Can anyone tell me if this is going to be WAY too much bar for my little half ton, or is it just going to make it nice and stiff in the corners?

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Burt4x4

Re: Anti-Sway bar

I ran a aftermarket sway bar up front for years! When my rig was a dayly driver.
I got mine from Addco. One day I was heading out to my fav campsite and my rig started rocken back and forth going about 60mph, the road was way washed and a semi truck was comming the other direction..all I could do is hold the wheel straight and pray. That monday I ordered the sway bar.
Worked great! Kept my 1/2ton frontend bouncing up and down instead of side to side. The sway bar I used was about the same size as the one your talking about if not bigger so you will be fine, plus I have seen other First Geners do what your talking about with great results!
Go for it!
Burt
Old 08-23-2007, 01:57 AM   #3
Mudder

Sorta late but you may want to try to grab the cross member that is attached to also.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:39 AM   #4
earl87gta

you will be fine with the 3/4 sway. what I did for mine was used a 2x4 boxed channel and bolted it to the bottom of the frame to hook the sway bar to it was an over kill I could have used 2x2 and it would have looked better and did just as good the new cross member will be made of tubing to match my engine and transfer case crossmebers.