The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
scejmer

help with a soft top

hey guys i have my hands full. when i bought this truck it came with a white soft top, all the bows, door window angle. thats it, i am missing both side rails, bow pivots,the top was never installed on the truck. i cant find out the make of the top, no markings or name anywhere. and the top isnt in bad shape, i was wondering does anyone have a idea the make of it and possibly if i can make it work has a digram of winshield snap locations, center bow pivot location, also need inside to insidebow measurements as center spacers for bows are missing also. thanks for any and all information.
scejmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #2
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Re: help with a soft top

I have the instructions for the Specialty Top Co (STC) fast track top on my computer. If you PM me your email address, I'll send it to you.

Most likely, the top is either a STC, Kayline or Bestop. If it is a Bestop, you may be able to still get parts. The other two are out-of-business.

The bed rails should be fairly easy to make. A simple piece of "L" shaped aluminum should work, Drill holes to match the top mounting holes. The snap locations should just fall into place along the rails. The mounting brackets and locations will be the toughest thing to find. You may have to try to find a board member with a similar top and have them take some measurements.

Good luck and post some pictures of your truck when you get a chance.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
scejmer

i know that i have called bestop with questions and was told that they did not make any in white. also that it should have had so markihgs or numbers, name if it was.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Bestop only makes black tops. Kayline tops had a small tag sewn into the seam above the rear window. STC tops have a logo printed on the rear window. There have been other tops made over the years, but I don't know any of those other manufactures.

Sent the instructions to you via PM. They are for the STC fastrac top, but it might give you an idea of how to install the top and what all is missing.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:42 AM   #5
scejmer

still need more help with soft top. i beleive it is a speacialty top. as i said i am fabing up everything. but i need to know center of bow pivots and spacing, also need to no what size to make side angles, base and hight. any help would be great,thanks scott.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
scejmer

is anybody running a specialty top on there truck right now that could give me some measurement, thanks scott
Old 08-22-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
VinceY
Just need a couple more parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncytruck View Post
I

The bed rails should be fairly easy to make. A simple piece of "L" shaped aluminum should work, Drill holes to match the top mounting holes. The snap locations should just fall into place along the rails. I used an aluminum square tubing to replace the front bed rails as the L shaped rail was starting to break.

The mounting brackets and locations will be the toughest thing to find. You may have to try to find a board member with a similar top and have them take some measurements. Try this link http://www.bestop.com/installation_guides/51315.pdf
There was a good FAQ but the pictures are missing now. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...highlight=soft

My top is like the best top in the link. The bows are made of the same material 1/2" electrical conduit (EMT) with belled ends on the tubing where they meet in the middle. Depending on the measurements a guy that is good with a electrical hand bender could work around that and make one piece bows instead of 2 piece so the belled ends would not be an issue. (I am an electrician) The pieces around the windows could be made out of angle and rod. The hinge pieces on the bed would be the hardest.
Why don't you spread your top out on the lawn and take some pictures of it at most of the attachment points.Post them so we can see what you are dealing with and then someone may be able to help.
1958 Shasta Airflyte Travel trailer (fresh restoration)
1971 C/10 Pickup(Frame off Restoration)
1972 K5 Blazer CST (Daily Driver & My Company Truck)
1976 Honda CB750 Bobber
1988 Jaguar XJ12
VinceY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

How soon do you need this information?

I have a used STC Fastrack that I recently bought that is uninstalled. Supposed to have all the hardware. I could get you measurements of the parts but I would be a little clueless on where each part goes since I haven't installed it before.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:43 AM   #9
scejmer

after i got going on making angle side brackets. my neibor and i strectched the top over the truck with variuos clamps and other tools. started streching and fitting, looking good. got stumped on bow pivots and door angle, where to weld loop on bed rail for door angl and window frame bracket, decided to take a break. looking at the top decided to clean with some vinull cleaner from the boat, only to find a little tag on the right rear corner of the top that said BESTOP, mind you i called bestop a couple of months ago and i was told that they never made a white top. after getting the bestop install guide, things started making sense. so i called bestop again and this time was told they used to make a white top years ago but not any more. but could still oreder a frame parts and they where in stock and on they way to the house. bought both bed rails,bow pivot kit,bow spaciers,window frame brackets and a couple of other things for about $105.00 delivered to th house. i will let you guys know it turns out in a couple of days. again thanks for any and all info.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:27 AM   #10
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Sweet, glad you're getting it figured out.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote