The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
BuckeyeBlazer

Blazer Project - Quarter fender alignment

It has been a while since I posted here. I have a 1972 blazer that I purchased several years ago. I rebuilt the engine a while back and have just been enjoying it.
Now back to work...
I’m replacing the bed floor and inner fenders. Purchased a bed floor and fenders from another member a couple of years ago and now I am installing them. Got mount kit from LMC. Cut the welds out and removed the quarter fenders. Removed the old bed and I’m now putting it all back together so my buddy can reweld.

I am having trouble getting the right quarter fender to line up (door gap). The left side bolted back up just perfect and the door gap and fits great. The right side however is horrible. It is edge to edge with the door at the top and about 2 inches or so at the bottom. It seems like the back of the bed on the right side needs to go down. The bed appear straight.

I know there have been post out there discussing blazer body panel fit up issues\solutions. Any advise. If there are already post about this can you send me a link.
Thanks ya'll.
I'll try to post some pics later this evening.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
pound41

Re: Blazer Project - Quarter fender alignment

it might be body mount or a sag in the b pillar door jamb due to rust. the b pillar area needs to go up which will push the rear down.hard to tell without pics.
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
badpeanut
Not a bad nut after all..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBlazer View Post
I’m replacing the bed floor and inner fenders. Purchased a bed floor and fenders from another member a couple of years ago and now I am installing them. Got mount kit from LMC. Cut the welds out and removed the quarter fenders. Removed the old bed and I’m now putting it all back together so my buddy can reweld.
I need to do this to mine (I already have a better bed floor and wheel tubs). Any advice in removing the bed sides (I want to reuse them)?
'71 Blazer 4x4 driver
'70 GMC LWB trailer
badpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
pound41

Search posts by VTblazer He had a nice post where he removed a damaged bedside and put in a new one. It had pics and was good info. Its been a while since the post but he would be a good source.
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
badpeanut
Not a bad nut after all..

VTblazer used a new bedside: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=156022 Beautiful work, but it sounds like BuckeyeBlazer is reusing his bed sides like I want to do. On my donor the bedsides were trashed, so I went the route of drilling out all of the spot welds in the door jambs; this was very rough on the bedsides. I'm wondering if it would be better to cut somwhere above this point?

Here is a picture of my donor:
Attached Images

'71 Blazer 4x4 driver
'70 GMC LWB trailer
badpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:05 AM   #6
BuckeyeBlazer

Thanks guys...
I think I figured out what is going on. With the condition of the rocker boxes (rusted out) and the outer rocker (rusted from inside/out). It looks like the cab floor has sagged down and forward.
I am not a body guy (prefer engine work) and I am a little over my head here. I think I am going to have to take in somewhere to get the rockers fixed up.
Thanks again.
BuckeyeBlazer
Old 08-27-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
Huck

Even with good inner and outer rockers, getting a blazer lined up is no piece of cake. It is a lot easier if one has the top on but without the rear quarter in place--that is not possible. I had similar problem with a perfect rust free tub I bought from a board member---the pas rear quarter was assembled incorrectly (inner and outer, b-pillar, etc.)
You really need to kind of bolt together the floor, rear quarter (squared!)and have the front floor---firewall and front clip in place with the door hung on and properly aligned with the front fender. With all this stuff hanging in some reasonable aligment with the same dimesions with the driver side, you can start to replace the inner rocker/torque box then the outer rockers. I would put the hardtop on before I tightened it up and did any significant welding (other then some spot welds). You really want you door aligment perfect with proper frame to body bushings and shims before you attempt to lock everything in place.
Trucks are a piece of cake compared to sagging blazers with rusted out B pillars, inner torque boxes, and sagging firewalls!! Good luck~~huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote