The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
b1v3r

Angry Inconsistent starting in 85 c 10

1985 Chevrolet CK pickup

Replaced Items:

Ignition switch on steering column above brake pedal
Ignition module (twice)
Spark plugs and wires
Fuel pump and filters (filters twice)
Battery and alternator
New gas (added SEAFOAM to get any residue water out)

Starter turns fine
Gets plenty of gas
Battery is fully charged.

Scenario:

Starts inconsistently. Rain or shine, day or night, first time or after several starts. If it starts, it runs like a new truck. When it doesn’t start, you can use gas in carb, starting fluid, etc but it will not start. When it doesn’t start, there is no spark, but does get gas.
Have distributor from another running truck, but am unable to install it. I was told the cam sensor was inside the distributor. I was also told there was a crank sensor, but I was also told there wasn’t one on this truck.

Would like to get truck fixed as I can’t afford car payments, at this time, and I need dependable transportation for both daily driving and trips to SA and back. If possible, would like someone to repair it and allow me to make payments, if necessary.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
b1v3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

Re: Inconsistent starting in 85 c 10

first welcome to the board
2nd i have never heard of a cam or crank sensor.

Is the truck is carberated right? if that the case then there really isnt any real sensor on that truck should be like my 86. If anything its in the distributor in the modual or in the cap and rotor. shouldnt have to replace distributor completely just the parts that make it work. such as modual, cap, and rotor. hope this helps

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one

Last edited by Srubydo1986; 08-26-2007 at 11:10 PM.
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

Welcome to the board from South Mississippi! First, there are no crank or cam sensors on your truck. Second, pull the distributor cap and remove the ignition module (will have wires plugged into either end of it). Take it to any chain parts store and have it tested. I've not heard of one working intermittently, usually they either work or they don't. If it's not that, then I wont be able to help.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:33 PM   #4
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

its a bad coil pack... thats what it sounds like anyway. had one of those pull into the shop few years back prior to my joining the air force. same stats. we changed the coil pack on the dist, never saw the truck broke down again

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:53 PM   #5
pilotj

I tend to agree that it's probably the coil. I had a similar problem on mine a few years back. Mine wouldn't start after I shut it off when the engine got to operating temp. All the coils i've had in the past have just died instantly when they went bad, so I never suspected it. Then one day it wouldn't start at all(no spark). I replaced the coil and had no starting problems at all after that(engine hot or cold)
Old 08-27-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
SmittySmith
'82 GMC Sierra Classic

Welcome to the forum.

I would bet the next paycheck it is the coil, I had the same described problem and once I replaced the distributor with an ACCEL Billetproof with the high performance coil, I've NEVER had another starting problem. Best money I've spent on the truck in years.

~ Smitty
SmittySmith is offline   Reply With Quote