The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2007, 02:13 AM   #1
streetstar

Pull the clip to swap- or not?

I am tossing my 454 engine project in my 75 in a few days --- i feel like if i do it quick and dirty - it will be running in 2 or 3 days and i won't touch it again for a couple of years

It needs new fenders, and a lot of cleanup ----- which i hate, because i am more into instant gratification. I thought about pulling the front clip to do all this (new fenders is only a $200 ordeal, financially) but then thought, i should let the body shop do all this when i go for a re-spray.

It is so easy to swap an engine with the clip off, and with my race car- the clip comes off between runs, but --- the trucks clip is not held on with dzus fasteners.

I'm leaning towards cheap and dirty with a little spray-bomb cleanup unless someone can re-assure me that re-aligning the front clip is not that big a deal --- then i might take a extra few hours to wire wheel the A-arms and crossmember and all that is proper

So a quick poll --- pull it all - or - just pull the hood
Alost like the difference between going commando, or boxer shorts huh?

streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Re: Pull the clip to swap- or not?

Can remove just one side. The core support and fender on one side should be enough. Or remove the hood.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #3
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

could just remove the core support and leave the fenders i removed everything when i did mine and cleaned every thing up. heres a picture for you.

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
bigblock73
yeller

I would pull the clip. Easier access, your back will thank you, and it is the perfect time to replace those fenders and clean things up. Alignment hood/fender wise on these trucks is easy, especially if you use new GM fenders. If aftermarket, it might take a little more effort.

If you don't want to replace the fenders, you can still remove the entire front clip, including hood, as one big assembly. There is about 10 bolts total holding all of it on (two at the core support, two at the bottom of the fenders, two at the bottom of the inner fenders, two at the top of the fenders by the cowl, and two at the back of the fenders, near the door jamb). This way, you won't have to re-align everything...just put it back on.

Last edited by bigblock73; 08-27-2007 at 10:07 AM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
streetstar

There you have it ---- the clip comes off !!! (its the right thing to do anyway)
Old 08-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
kevinr1970

My buddy was supposed to come by Saturday and help me pull my engine/tranny/transfer-case combo but he has been sick for the past few days.
I have been busy lately but had Sat. all to myself so went ahead and pulled it myself. I got it out but it was a pain and did some minor damage that I wouldn't have done if I pulled at least the core support.

When I go to put the replacements back in I am going to pull the core support out. Just way easier that way. As said above it's like a dozen or so bolts to pull it. I am just wondering if I need to pull the harness or if I can just pull the core to the side without pulling the harness from the core?
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:09 PM   #7
streetstar

Its not a whole heck of a lot to undo up there --- headlights side markers, signals, etc. Take a bunch of digital pics and just pull it--- might keep you from breaking some wires or being in awkward positions with it
Old 08-28-2007, 02:59 AM   #8
kevinr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetstar View Post
Its not a whole heck of a lot to undo up there --- headlights side markers, signals, etc. Take a bunch of digital pics and just pull it--- might keep you from breaking some wires or being in awkward positions with it
I know, I shouldn't be lazy... but... I am!
I am not worried about hooking them back up, just about untangling them from around the core support and pulling (or breaking really) the clips that hold it in place.
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:23 AM   #9
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Rip it all out!!