The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2002, 05:20 PM   #1
Patrick Sullivan
Transcendental Trucker

Quick starter question

If an engine were siezed, or generally not turning correctly, the starter would just sit and strain against it, right? It wouldn't make the starter un-mesh, and start eating the flexplate, would it?

Reason I ask - I just finished fixing a fairly large antifreeze leak, and the engine won't start back up, the starter just grinds like heck and starts eating the flexplate. I'm not sure if it's the starter that's messed up, or something in the engine that got antifreeze in it and ruined it..
1998 Dodge Dakota 4x4

So, fill to me the parting glass
And drink a health whate'er befalls...
Then gently rise and softly call
Goodnight and joy be to you all!
Patrick Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 06:02 PM   #2
Gordo

Smile

If the starter was healthy and the engine was seized the starter would engage and probably just humm, and if you held it on long enough it would smoke up the starter, batt cables or something. My guess the starter is just not engaging properly or the starter drive or possibly the flex-plate is shot. Did you remove the starter during the repair you made? Maybe it needs to be shimmed or realigned.
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 06:19 PM   #3
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I agree with Gordo. As a thought, you might put a 5/8 socket/wrachet on the balancer bolt & try turning the crank......I doubt that its locked up, but that way you will be able sleep a little eazier......
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 09:56 PM   #4
Patrick Sullivan
Transcendental Trucker

Well I tried turning the engine by the flexplate, and it turns, so I guess it is the starter.. there was quite a bit of antifreeze on the starter itself when I looked at it.. maybe it got wet and ruined it. Guess I gotta get a new one.. thanks.
1998 Dodge Dakota 4x4

Old 12-24-2002, 03:11 PM   #5
Patrick Sullivan
Transcendental Trucker

Holy crap.. !

Pulled the starter off, and found THIS! I've never seen anything like it. I know the pic is out of focus (I hate autofocus cameras), but look at the starter gear.. Must be missing half the gear..
Attached Images

1998 Dodge Dakota 4x4

Old 12-24-2002, 04:43 PM   #6
Gordo

If the rest of the starter looks okay and your short on cash, you can replace the starter drive only. You may want to rotate the flex plate one revolution and inspect the teeth for damage as you turn it, hopefully there is no damage.
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.

Last edited by Gordo; 12-24-2002 at 04:46 PM.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 05:17 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

starter teeth

i saw only one like that in my life and it was on an old taxicab. thre was a problem wiht the flywheel on that cab too im not sure if that caused it or not i dont recall but i would check the flywheel good before installing a new starter they may not honor the warranty if ya buts the gear on a bad flywheel

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 06:23 PM   #8
Big69C20 Toy
Livin' it up.

my starter looked worse Patrick, the whole gear was disintegrated.... freaking confusing. now my new one cranks but still acts up (ie grinding or slow turning and seems like its fighting) good luck with it
Big69C20 Toy is offline   Reply With Quote