The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2007, 06:05 PM   #51
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Re: ways you have saved money on your build

"I think it was longhornman that said, "If you gonna half-ass it, there is a right and a wrong way to go about it." I've cut cost corners several time, but I always try to half-ass it the right way."

Amen my half-assed brotha!

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993

Last edited by samwise68; 08-28-2007 at 06:06 PM.
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #52
special-K
Special Order

Buy a restored truck the way you like them.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-29-2007 at 07:46 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:52 PM   #53
slowtruck

I was given a used dirt track fuel Cell and put a used fuel sending unit in it, then put the thing under the bed. Found out it was way to low to the ground and orderd a blazer fuel tank to put in it's place.

slowtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:25 PM   #54
mtndewmaniac66
Do the Dew!

Silly? Saved Money? I guess you can say that. I was always on the lookout for a 67-72 chevy/gmc truck, then finally after eight years, I found my '68 chevy C10 for $500.00. It was in a very acceptable body shape, and running. Now that four years had gone by, I had since rebuilt the engine, (spared no expense there) had a set of Mags given to me, I only had to clean them up, but I did this with Eagle one wheel cleaner and a soft bristled rush.....in my bath tub. I also skimped on cost on the exhaust, purchased a twenty foot stick of 2-1/2" exhaust pipe, cut, bent, and formed a X-over, welded collectors to it, welded turbo mufflers to it, and then installed the whole assembly in. The exhaust is still in operation.

My biggest savings? Doing almost all the work om it myself, with the exception of the engine machine work.

Oh, BTW, When I replace the fluids I try to recycle the coolant from my better vehicles and use it in the old beat up Jeep.
mtndewmaniac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:13 PM   #55
Ricks1971

Shopped at the pick and pull aftermidnite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ricks1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:55 AM   #56
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Craigslist! I scope out the parts listings for all the cities between Eugene and Seattle- everyday. Looking for guys parting out their trucks or looking to trade or whatever. I have made some tremendous scores this way, but you have to be patient and ready to jump as soon as something comes up. You also have to be wary of the dreamers who think their rotted out '68 SWB thats be sittin' behind grandads garden shed since '84 is destined for the Prime-Time slot at Barrett-Jackson...ya'll know who I'm talking about. Also, my Pop's was a body and paint guy for many years- and he taught me the craft as well as "donated" alot of the tools I need. Being able to do my own body work will save me scads of cash. Now if I can just get Chip Foose to donate some "Nitrous' " to my "charity"!
Bottom line do anything and everything you can. If you don't know how- pick up a book or ask on this board- chances are somebody has done, is doing, or knows somebody that has done just about everything a person could do to one of our trucks.

Lastly- forget schedules, deadlines, and measurable results. Restifying / Restoring a classic truck should be fun and creative- not arduous and stressful....unless your trying to make a living at roddin' out old chevy trucks!
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:00 PM   #57
hotroddinrebel

My truck was my daily driver in high school and since I was(and still am) getting 10-12 mpg...money wasn't plentiful. I had a bent drum backer plate that needed replacing because it ate shoes every 5000 miles. but why replace? I worked at AutoZone at the time and lifetime shoes were 19 bucks. Exhaust work is expensive so a universal glasspack kit is on there..cheap enough that I got it for christmas(around 120 bucks I think). Fuel line of the carb is a combo of cheap brake lines and rubber hose. The carb installation was me and my ex-gf's dad putting it on at 12am on a school/work night so that it would be ready for power tour 2006(Ready is a relative term)

The other key is to work at Napa...employees get good prices
-307 V8(now an RHS built 350)
-TH400 and 12 Bolt with 2.73 gears

Last edited by hotroddinrebel; 08-30-2007 at 03:01 PM. Reason: mispelled words
hotroddinrebel is offline   Reply With Quote