The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
streetstar

window regulators

Windows - (both sides and the back hatch) roll down painfully slow - passenger window only rolls down halfway as well.

Do i just nees to sack up and buy new regulators, or is there another solution. I took the inspection panel off the tailgate and the scissor and lift mechanisms were clean. I was going to graphite lube everything, but it didnt really need it. And its still slow and jerky acting

I didnt think electric regulators w "wore out" i always thought they were all or nothing, but maybe i'm wrong. I will order new reg's today if that will fix, but if it won't, is there something else i can do to smooth it out a little?

I am not expecting new Tahoe smoothness, just reliable windows that dont stick or jerk when being used
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: window regulators

Grease them up! electric or crank, if they are dry they will be slow. When they get dry the rollers in the tracks tend to stick and instead of rolling, they stick and slide causing one side to wear down flat in extreme cases.

My doors and tailgate were all sticky at one time. I did have to replace the regulator in the rear because it was shot completely, but I rebuilt a solid junkyard regulator. New rollers are available at the Chevy dealer and they come with new rivits to attach them to the arms. I cleaned the tracks if the rust and coated them completely with grease. Now my rear window cranks up and down smoothly with no excess pressure needed to go into the crank to turn it.

The doors didn't get the rollers worn down like the rears did, but they were dry enough that it would take both hands on the crank to roll it up on one side. I peeled the door panels off and liberally greased the snot out of the tracks and the rest of the regulator mechanism and they crank down and up with minimal effort.

Power regulators can drag too as the same amount of moisture gets into the doors and tailgate. The difference is, if the drag is enough you might burn out a motor or for the tailgate break the cable from the motor to the regulator.

Spend a couple hours cleaning and greasing them and I bet you don't need new regulators. Roller's maybe, but not complete replacements.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
streetstar

Thx Rob

i will try to get into it again this weekend to improve it -- i hope your right about not needing new regs
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Good luck!
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote