The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2002, 06:36 PM   #1
Dropt72Shortbed

underside of bed? paint, por15 or what?

the bed i bought was only painted on the exterior. i believe it has an etching primer on the underside and inside of the bed. before i bolt the bed up to the frame i need to take care of the underside of it.

will por15 be a good idea for treating the underside of the bed? if not, what would be the best bet? i dotn have the equip to paint it myself, id rather have something i can apply with a brush by myself.
Dropt72Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 07:19 PM   #2
adamls
Gotta Startem Early

I have heard of using a rhino lining, or similar. Sounds like a good idea to me. It would surely hold up to the heat and rocks from the exhaust and road.
Old 12-24-2002, 07:54 PM   #3
Dropt72Shortbed

Quote:
Originally posted by adamls
I have heard of using a rhino lining, or similar. Sounds like a good idea to me. It would surely hold up to the heat and rocks from the exhaust and road.
the linex, rhino liner and other professional places out here charge $400+ to have a bed done. so i figue the bottom would cost close to or about the same. ive heard the do it yourself stuff is thin and crappy. i definetly not willing to pay $400 to have it rhino lined at a shop, i could cover it myself with about $50 worth of por 15.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:35 PM   #4
scull67

I used por 15 On my frame and bed. The stuff adheres well to rusty surfaces. If it is primed already, it may not stick.

scull67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 08:46 PM   #5
Dropt72Shortbed

Quote:
Originally posted by scull67
I used por 15 On my frame and bed. The stuff adheres well to rusty surfaces. If it is primed already, it may not stick.
thats good info

anyone else know how well por 15 adheres to surfaces already painted?
Old 12-25-2002, 09:38 AM   #6
Huck

Here is the dilemma ---most primer especially the can stuff is not water resistant. It absorbs the stuff. POR15 will stick to the primer but how well does the primer stick to the surface underneath it?? Was is sand blasted and what primer was used? I brushed POR15 under my bed and it has held well to whatever was there before---piant, dirt, crud that wasn't loose. However, the real problem is you need to seal where you can't see!!! These bed floors rust out between the floor supports and the bed bottom. Especially at the back end where the floor kind of wraps back down and traps dirt between the floor and the rear floor support. Typically the first place to rust thru!. It you can pressure wash, high pressure air dry these areas you have a good start. Then try and spray or brush POR15 or any other high quality rust preventor paint into these areas. Have also heard of using a diluted tar or roofing tar on high rust areas. It water seals forever! Next target would be the area just above the wheel wells on the rear quarters. Example in point is an absolutely beautiful show quality bed I have on the red truck that only has rust above the wheel wells and rust thru on the bed floor above the supports---not a dent in the floor otherwise!!!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote