The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
GMC3

temp sending unit and switch locations?

I finally figured out that I need both. One is connected to the gauge and the other to the idiot light. My problem is that I have vortec heads and the outlets on the heads are different sizes than the threads on the switch and sending unit. I have an edelbrock performer vortec manifold and the rad hose runs directly over the outlet where one of the switches could go. I have 2 threaded openings in the manifold on either side of the carb that are the right size however I took the plugs out and didn't see any antifreeze in there. My question is will the sending unit and switch work properly if installed in these locations or do I have to find some alternative to thread into the head?
GMC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
neonlarry

Re: temp sending unit and switch locations?

What year truck are you talking about?
On pre 73 trucks the temp sender in the P\S head is for the TCS circuit which can be disconnected.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
GMC3

sorry. 1970 c10 2wd 350 w/ vortec heads, performer rpm vortec intake and the temp switch and temp sending unit I have are stock 1970.
GMC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:23 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

the one on the passenger head is not for the light, as lary said, it was for a transmission controlled spark advance... a very primitive and crappy smog device that has been disabled and disposed of on 95% of the trucks out there.
Now, for the actual temp guage one on the drivers side... I *think* someone came up with a volvo unit years ago that fit the hole, and had the right resistance needed to operate the guage properly.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote