The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
65ChevyC20

What happened to it??

I joined this site just over a year ago and have been working on my truck just doing body work and such. I am now ready to do the disc brake swapover. There used to be a sticky at the top of the board that told you how to do this without swapping the crossmember, it is now gone.

I looked in the FAQs but didn't find it there either, can someone direct me on where to find this bit of info or maybe someone here has it already. I know I have to switch out the upper and lower A arms but there was some other things that I cannot recall.

Thanks
65ChevyC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
PrerunnerRob

Re: What happened to it??

Are you swaaping to dropped spindles? 5 lug? 6 lug? What year are your donor parts coming from?
PrerunnerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:53 PM   #3
slepysal

yea I remeber that one, becuse it wouldnt work for my 60
here it is
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=171667

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:23 AM   #4
65ChevyC20

Thanks SlepySal, where'd ya find it?? Sorry about that, should've posted some additional info. I am converting from front drum brakes to front disc. I have 8 lug wheels and am just going to be swapping out the necessary hardware to get disc brakes, no drop spindles or other mods.

There was a sticky at the top of the message board topics that gave details of what you have to get to do the swap. Lots of people were swapping out the crossmember, grinding off rivets and doing lots of other things to make the swap happen. The guy that posted the sticky found out that all you had to do was swap the upper and lower A arms, spindles and calipers, I think that the tie rod ends needed to be changed out also but I can't remember.

Last edited by 65ChevyC20; 09-03-2007 at 12:30 AM.
65ChevyC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
Tomsriv

I just did the conversion on mine a few weeks ago. I used the six lug conversion kit from Classic Performance Parts on my 65 C10.

http://www.classicperform.com/6092chevtrk.htm

The kit comes with everything you need, its great and saves a lot of the trouble of buying junkyard parts that turn out to need a rebuild anyway. I got the power brake booster and everything. The tech support people are knowledgeable and helpful. I would highly recommend this kit.

I did 4 wheel disc brakes. The rear brakes add a lot of complication to it because you have to redo the E brake and pull out the axles. Its also a pain to get the old studs out of the axles. The other time consuming parts are drilling holes for the new Master Cylinder, bending new brake lines and adjusting the pedal free play.

The kit uses front brakes from a 78-84 Monte Carlo/Chevelle, etc. The rear brakes are from a 80-85 Cadillac Seville.
Tomsriv is offline   Reply With Quote