The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2007, 07:17 AM   #1
Copper116

Question about 72 K5 radiator and supports

I have a 72 K5 with a 4speed and NO A/C. It has a bad single core radiator. I bought a 4 core to replace it; figuring that it will never overheat again.
I bought new 4 core mounting hardware from LMC and discovered the radiator sits too high and the lower saddles are too long, bridging the gap front to back preventing the radiator from setting all the way down into the support channel.
Is there a way to make this fit right and keep the 4 core or should I go to a 2 core?

THANKS.
Copper116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Question about 72 K5 radiator and supports

Did you also replace the lower mounts with the 4 core style? If not, you may be able to get it to sit down if you pull the rubbers out of the lower mounts until you can find the correct ones.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:46 PM   #3
Bob Moore

The 4 core lower saddles require the lip of the core support be bent down to clear the extra length. The factory assembly manual shows this modification and I believe it is about 1 1/2inch that needs to be bent.

You can do it by cutting the lip and bending it down or the factory used a press I am sure.
more to follow
Bob Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
Copper116

I bought new mounts for top and bottom... currently, the bottom saddles won't go down into the core support. I figured I could cut them out to give the proper clearance but I'm not keen on cutting pieces out to "make do" but if that or bending it out of the way is how it's supposed to be done, so be it. Hey, I thank you for your quick responses. I'm eager to get the girl back on the road. She's a diamond in the rough right now but still fun to drive. thanks again.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:12 PM   #5
Copper116

I ground the lip off the cross member of the core support and it fits well...thanks for your advice.
One more question;
What about clutch fans or flex fans? Are either one worth the effort? Which one is better? Then; if the clutch fan, what makes and models chev can I get one off of that will fit?

Thanks again.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
Philip

Using the factory style thermal clutch fan is the best way to go. It will also require a factory style shroud. The proper depth of the fan is with the blades sticking out of the shroud about half of the width of the blades. The clutch will engage when the temp inside the shroud reaches a certain point; most of the time the fan will be freewheeling.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:30 PM   #7
mister.freeze

Fans can (and do) rob HP. I went electric w/a switch so I can turn them off for deep water. I'll be adding a thermal switch to the mix too. my 2 cents.