The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
bdmcgee

Questions - 1969 Stepside

I just got a 1969 GMC Stepside. . . about 2 weeks ago (posted some pictures today) and I have lots of questions as I start to work on this bad boy! Some of them will be fairly basic. This is my first "project" vehicle, but honestly, this truck is SOLID and only needs minor changes - like a new wood bed and new interrior. Anyway, here we go and THANKS in advance guys.

1. I've been told NOT to run syn oil in an old vehicle. For the life of me I can't figure that one out and when I changed the oil, I used a blend (whihc I use in all my vehicles except the bikes) Comments?

2. Lead gas. . . Is there a way to tell if an engine has had the valves harden? I've been running an additive as a precautionary. Unfortunately the guy I got the truck from, was a "collector" and didn't know much about the cars he stored (had some great looking trailer queens though)

3. I'm not restoring my GMC to 'original', but would like to add the correct badges and emblems. . . Was there a "GMC" across the front of the hood? Was there a "engine size" on the front fender? I believe the truck is a Custom (the glove box has "Custom" on it) Should there be one on the doors?

Thanks very much guys. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
JH [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
bdmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Questions - 1969 Stepside

1. Running synthetic is the best thing you can do for the longevity of your engine. Some will argue, but independant labs don't lie. There's a new one comeing out from castroil soon that has high levels of zink, which has been removed from pretty much any oil you'll find oin the market, and is detrimental to the life of the camshaft in your engine.
2 While a 69 is designed for leaded fuel, you can run unleaded without too much damage. Continue with the substitute untill it's no longer sold in your area, then just keep on keeping on. You can fix it at a rebuild, since in all reality, it's never a real good idea to put new heads on a well aged engine.
3. Yes, GMC badges went across the hood on a 69. no, no engine displacement badges on a GMC, Yes, there should be custom script on the top of the doors.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
2bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
1. Running synthetic is the best thing you can do for the longevity of your engine. Some will argue, but independant labs don't lie. There's a new one comeing out from castroil soon that has high levels of zink, which has been removed from pretty much any oil you'll find oin the market, and is detrimental to the life of the camshaft in your engine.
I'm sure it's a typo or confusion on my part, but I am confused about this statement, at first you say synthetic is great, but then you mention the new one coming out that has high levels of Zinc and is detrimental to the life of the camshaft. Can you clear up my fuzzy brain?
'74 Monte Carlo
'47 Teardrop Trailer

East Texas Classics Local Club
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I think he meant that the lack of zinc in the newer oils was the problem, which caused some premature cam shaft wear.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:18 PM   #5
Longhorn Man

Conventional verses synthetic.... while the synthetic is way better, most of them still don't have the zink to protect the camshaft. If it is certified for moden vehicles (ANYTHING you see on wall mart shaf or at juffy lube, or 99.9% of any place you'd look for oil) it won't have enough zink to protect the cam.
The Synthetic is still better than conventional oil though.

The new oil coming out by castrol http://www.castrol.com/castrol/gener...tentId=7032644 has said zink.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Hot Rod magazine recently had an article discussing oils and cam shafts. I think they were using a diesel engine oil because it had more of the additives for protection.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #7
chip46wis

Just a thought on the unleaded thing-I used to run a 481 inch 69 camaro which I would treat to aviation gas occasionally which most of us know is unleaded-I would pour about 1/4 can of marvel mystery oil in the tank and never worried about it.Less marvel would have been fine also---for a driver I would guess 1/8 can would suffice.

Last edited by chip46wis; 09-04-2007 at 07:04 PM.
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #8
Longhorn Man

the diesel oils lost there zink recently. Shell's Rotella oil was the main one recomended,now they have no zink in it.
Never heard of marvel mystery oil protecting the valve seats.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:47 AM   #9
2bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
I think he meant that the lack of zinc in the newer oils was the problem, which caused some premature cam shaft wear.
OK, I re read it and I get it hehe... thanks I was at work and thus not thinking haha...
'74 Monte Carlo
'47 Teardrop Trailer

East Texas Classics Local Club
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:31 AM   #10
Brock
upgrading to an older model

One thing about synthetic oil is they are Slippery-er than regular oil (I know thats not a word). So they allow for easier movement of parts = increased horsepower (a little) = less wear...however IF you engine already has a little wear and things are not seated quite as tightly as they once were, this could lead to leakage/oil useage/deposits... SO, if your engine is still tight and fresh let the synthetics roll...if your engine has a little wear (which most of ours do) then you have a choice to make.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #11
Longhorn Man

I see that said all the time, but i have swiched many 100,000+ mile old engines... and never had a single issue with leaks, blow by, tail pipe smoke... you can ask anyone that attended the 2nd Ohio board meet a couple years ago, my old town car was a steaming pile of dog crap. I dumped mobile one in it the day I got it, and never had these problems, and that sucker had 180,000 miles on it when i got it. I think it was at 205,000 when i sold it.
Many regular customers at our shop have been making the chainge here lately too, fleet cars and trucks and vans, all with over 100K, some up into the 300 - 350K areas, never an issue.