The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2007, 10:08 AM   #26
Bucky71

Re: Auxilary Fuel Tanks

Stocker. Does the tank to gauge switch and wiring look like it is OE, or dealer or PO?
Does anyone know if these tanks were factory or dealer installed?
Bucky71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:21 PM   #27
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Not OEM... possibly PO, dealer, or aftermarket shop. The switch is a three-position toggle, with a dash sticker (just above the switch) that says

Travel Tanks
Left-Main-Right

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:19 AM   #28
alschevy
Account Suspended

i called the chevy dealer in SC they are not carrying the partsany more
i found the switch but need help geting to tanks and they should be 35 gal

1967 chevy one ton wrecker
alschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:06 AM   #29
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

Where did you find the switch? and 35 Gal? mine are 15 each and from what I understand dealer installed. the P/O had them relined which is nice I just want to drop them, drain them and install new sending units. when you switch mine off of main to left or right it throws off my fuel gauge for a week or so. I'm assuming a short. so I will rewire also. Not trying to hijack the thread. the mention of the switch caught my eye since I have yet to find one. assuming its and On/On/On switch. and yes it says travel tanks above it.

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:21 AM   #30
72armyswbtruck

I have had several of these trucks with the saddle tanks, here is what you need to find, #1 someone who has a parts truck with the lever that switches on the floor from one tank to the others, I searched and searched at hardware stores for a 3 way lever valve and couldn't find one so finally I had to get one from a board member.
Second the best way is to find a board member who has a truck that has factory installed saddle tanks (they can be identified because with the factory installed tanks they didn't have a door on the side, they had the gas neck on the side of the bed.
Third
Get all the hardware from an original factory auxillary tank truck, and then it will work, I did this on one of the trucks that I sold and am now in the process of aquiring the parts to do this again then the factory fuel guages will work.
Sorry that this was long but I hope that this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by alschevy View Post
Ok guys can any one help me out with what i am trying to find the three
gas tank set up need the switch with handle that gos on the floor of the truck cab and valve

1967 chevy one ton tow truck
Old 08-28-2007, 04:24 AM   #31
72armyswbtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky71 View Post
Stocker. Does the tank to gauge switch and wiring look like it is OE, or dealer or PO?
Does anyone know if these tanks were factory or dealer installed?
There was an option for factory tripple tanks, see my earier post to identify which ones are which
Old 08-28-2007, 04:26 AM   #32
72armyswbtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by So.Cal.Super View Post
Where did you find the switch? and 35 Gal? mine are 15 each and from what I understand dealer installed. the P/O had them relined which is nice I just want to drop them, drain them and install new sending units. when you switch mine off of main to left or right it throws off my fuel gauge for a week or so. I'm assuming a short. so I will rewire also. Not trying to hijack the thread. the mention of the switch caught my eye since I have yet to find one. assuming its and On/On/On switch. and yes it says travel tanks above it.
You can also get the three way switch from Napa, that is where my last tanks switch came from. The original manufactures of the manual and electric switch was colorado customs.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:57 AM   #33
special-K
Special Order

The factory never offered a triple tank option.Only in`72 did they offer a driver side tank that filled along the front upper side like a Blazer.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #34
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by So.Cal.Super View Post
35 Gal? mine are 15 each
That's about what mine are also... I once drained two tanks and ran the third until nearly empty.

It took a bit more than 50 gallons to fill all three.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:27 AM   #35
72armyswbtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The factory never offered a triple tank option.Only in`72 did they offer a driver side tank that filled along the front upper side like a Blazer.
Special K, I will have to find my pics and factory options list that shows it direct from GM. I didn't believe it until I saw it first hand
Old 08-29-2007, 04:35 AM   #36
CrashEd
72 chevy

I just looked at my option sheet for 72 and they did offer a 19 gallon auxiliary tank for C-K20-C30 fleetside or longhorn models only.
Ed
CrashEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:24 AM   #37
dwaite72lnghrn

My dad put 2 saddle tanks on the truck 20 gallons each. Poly type "ECONO_TANKS" . On trucks with 3 line fuel pumps you would have to run the main tank down switch to aux tank which would run the truck and refill the main tank. The only way to set it up without the refill would be a 6way switch that would reroute the return to the tank being used.The third tank was pulled when the gas stations around here shortened their pump hoses and you had to turn around to fill the passenger side tank. I was nice with 61 gallons of fuel, You didn't have to start looking for a gas station as soon as you left the last 1.
Since '72 DOT has cracked down on the manufactures that sell tanks like this. I think this is the reason it is had to get similar tanks today that are DOT approved.
71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:29 AM   #38
72armyswbtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashEd View Post
I just looked at my option sheet for 72 and they did offer a 19 gallon auxiliary tank for C-K20-C30 fleetside or longhorn models only.
Ed
Thank you I knew that I wasn't dreaming this stuff up
Old 08-29-2007, 07:32 AM   #39
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashEd View Post
Ed

#NL2

I don`t know of any other.But,would like to know if there was another choice.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-29-2007 at 07:34 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:32 AM   #40
alschevy
Account Suspended

Well i may have found the SADDLE GAS TANKS the guy is going to call me back to see if he has them

1967 chevy one ton wrecker truck
Old 09-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #41
greenhorn male

All four trucks I have owned had auxiliary fuel tanks. 3 of them had "Factory Aux" tanks.
The ones with factory aux tanks were all guaged with a toggle switch just left of the dash guage cluster to switch from in cab tank to saddle tank.
The factory one has the filler the same height as the in cab filler like the ones pictured above and is listed on the glove box sticker.
The factory aux tank trucks I had only had one drivers side aux tank, no passenger side.

From what I learned on the board the aux tanks with the square locking door on the bedside is either a dealer installed option or after market ad-on.
I believe the factory or dealer selector valves on the floor will work for either 2 or 3 tanks. I think with 2 tanks one of the outlets are just capped.

I had 2 aux tanks (dealer installed) on my 71 that I actually used. They had no sending units. When I replaced the bed, I removed the aux tanks because it was a pain filling 3 tanks and keeping track of how much was in the two aux tanks.

I had sold the selector valve on the board a couple of years ago but I believe my friend still has the saddle tanks which I had him stored in his storage shed. They are free for pick up if still available. Sorry for the long post. Here are pics I took back then. Only the tanks are left if he still has them.
Attached Images

Last edited by greenhorn male; 09-02-2007 at 01:34 PM.
greenhorn male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #42
FLEET72

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn male View Post
All four trucks I have owned had auxiliary fuel tanks. 3 of them had "Factory Aux" tanks.
The ones with factory aux tanks were all guaged with a toggle switch just left of the dash guage cluster to switch from in cab tank to saddle tank.
The factory one has the filler the same height as the in cab filler like the ones pictured above and is listed on the glove box sticker.
The factory aux tank trucks I had only had one drivers side aux tank, no passenger side.

From what I learned on the board the aux tanks with the square locking door on the bedside is either a dealer installed option or after market ad-on.
I believe the factory or dealer selector valves on the floor will work for either 2 or 3 tanks. I think with 2 tanks one of the outlets are just capped.

I had 2 aux tanks (dealer installed) on my 71 that I actually used. They had no sending units. When I replaced the bed, I removed the aux tanks because it was a pain filling 3 tanks and keeping track of how much was in the two aux tanks.

I had sold the selector valve on the board a couple of years ago but I believe my friend still has the saddle tanks which I had him stored in his storage shed. They are free for pick up if still available. Sorry for the long post. Here are pics I took back then. Only the tanks are left if he still has them.
If you do still have the saddle tanks I would definitely be interested, especially since you are in my neck of the woods
'69 GMC Custom Camper
FLEET72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #43
greenhorn male

I just spoke to him and he said they are still in his shed where I left them. He is in San Pablo. If you or anyone wants them, I could pick them up and bring them to Pittsburg or you could meet me there. But, please be sure because he is 30 miles from me and I have no place to store it.

As far as being dangerous on side impact, I have no clue, but I've owned an 80's truck with outside the frame tanks and these off my 71 are way thicker than the 80's and the shape and angles make them really hard to crush. Jerry's friend tried to crush a couple of these tanks with a tractor and the first time he rolled over them they didn't crush. He had to roll over them over and over and crushed them some but never was able to flatten them.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:01 AM   #44
FLEET72

PM sent
'69 GMC Custom Camper
FLEET72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #45
alschevy
Account Suspended

Edited by moderator

Last edited by krue; 09-05-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #46
Bucky71

An excellent posting Greenhorn. The pictures and explanation are perfect!
Bucky71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:19 PM   #47
greenhorn male

One correction. The dealer did install the saddle tanks that was guaged. My daily driver is this way, just like stocker mentioned but mine is just for the main and aux. The toggle switch only switches the sending unit and the valve on the floor changes which tank you are using, so you have to remember to match your selector valve with your gauge or you might run out of gas.

The factory aux tanks has a metal shield in front of the selector valve under the floor to protect the gaslines from rocks. The dealer instlled ones I had didn't have this shield. The metal shield is installed with sheet metal screws and is an easy ad on so you might want to look for these on your next parts/junkyard truck with factory aux tank option. I transferred one from a fact aux tank truck to my daily driver. Here are some pics:
Attached Images