The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2007, 02:15 AM   #1
ThatOneBlue67
I survived Dead Man's Curve.

front lowering coils

If I were to use 2" front drop coils on my 67 1/2 ton, would I need to buy shocks? Will the ride be crappy if I don't? Will I break something if I don't? Just wondering ifI can be a cheap skate or not

I'm thinking about just cutting the coils really... $114 is too much for lowering coils IMO.

"The Hurricane"
1967 Chevrolet C10
350 Eight Cylinder, 700R4 BowtieOverdrive

Cherry Bomb... Disturbing the Peace Since 1968.
ThatOneBlue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:55 AM   #2
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Re: front lowering coils

Go ahead and cut a coil, you'll be fine with stock length shocks unless yours are already worn out.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:56 AM   #3
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

don't know if this helps, cause this is a 63....But, I cut my front coils 2 rounds, cut off the stop mount on the lower control arm, and kept the original shocks.
Attached Images

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:14 AM   #4
71tahoe

ART provides stock shocks with their front bag kit and it goes WAAAAY lower than 2".
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:28 AM   #5
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

No problem with stock shocks. I lowered mine in front 2-1/2 inches some years back and haven't had any problems.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
aventur1

71 LWB. So if I buy a good set of lower coils, will the ride be the same as original? With the shorter coils are they designed to have the same rideability? Both front and back? 2" in front and in back would be great!
Sounds like a easy way to lower? And keep stock shocks or no big deal to buy shorter shocks front and back.
aventur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:51 AM   #7
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I bought 3.5" drop coils many years ago and love the ride. I had to cut out the stops on the lower A arm also. The stock shocks were fairly new then, and are still on it. I don't drive it that much either. If I were to notice the shocks not working, I'd replace them with ones for dropped trucks, just because. 2" is hardly noticable on these trucks visually, and depending on what tires you run, you might consider dropping it more so the tire fits the wheel well better. With my 3.5" drop, I can still haul a full load without problems. The coils I bought had the same sping rate as stock so the ride was about the same. I am running 235/70/15's front and 275/60/15's in back. I would put some 1" or so lowering blocks in back of mine too, but want to check my clearances first so I don't have any problems.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:01 AM   #8
aventur1

Ya, your right 2" is not enough. So is there a board vendor that carries the
3"+ coils for front and back? I want to keep the slight rake look so will go with the same front and back,Not sure about wheels and tires yet. I know I don't want the low profile tires, but would like to go with larger rims, what ever will fit after it's lowered.
aventur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:26 AM   #9
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Re: ride comfort... My truck seemed to have improved in handling. Didn't notice any difference in comfort level.

All tall vehicles will improve with handling if lowered to a reasonable height. There is less sway and more control on curves due to the lowered center of gravity thing. If you go too low, then you may encounter other problems.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:09 PM   #10
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by aventur1 View Post
Ya, your right 2" is not enough. So is there a board vendor that carries the
3"+ coils for front and back? I want to keep the slight rake look so will go with the same front and back,Not sure about wheels and tires yet. I know I don't want the low profile tires, but would like to go with larger rims, what ever will fit after it's lowered.
You may want to rethink your order of operations here. Wheels and tires are way more expensive than the springs. And which ones you get will may a difference on how much you want to lower it.

A good idea is to get the wheels and tires you want, measure the bumper to ground and tire to wheel well clearance, then cut your front coils until you get the ride height you want. Re-measure and then order the coils to get that ride height or just keep your cut coils, depending on how low you went. If you keep them as cut, drive it a while to see if you like it. You may decide to replace the spindles instead.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote