The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2007, 12:19 AM   #1
1975stepside
Stepside Fanatic!

What's up with THIS?????????

OK, my old automatic transmission shift-indicator never did work right since I got my truck so I bought another one. But the cable seems to be too long, just like the old one! My 75 Stepside has the usual place to connect the end of the cable to the steering column, a slot about 1 1/2 inches long positioned at about 3 o'clock on the right side of the back edge of the steering column.

I made sure I got the shift indicator mechanism for the 3 speed automatic (with NO overdrive), and it looks just like the old one, only the indicator needle slides properly whereas the old one didn't.

Am I doing something wrong? Does the cable go somewhere else first and THEN connect to the column? I really want to have a working shift indicator, I know enough to just count up from "park" the right number of gears, but when my daughters borrow the truck, they end up driving around in second gear a lot. Can anyone help? Thanks!
1975stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:29 AM   #2
f.monroe

Re: What's up with THIS?????????

They are adjustable where they attach to the column . It should have the screw going only into the metal tab the cable is attached to . The screw actually passes through the column and compresses the metal tab around the column . I would put it in drive and adjust the indicator to the correct position then tighten it down . If you adjust it in park it might be letting a little slack in the cable . As far as I know ,it only goes through the gauge housing guide then down to the column It should attach to the side ofthe column , then go through the guide which acts like a pulley , then to the indicator . The cable pulls from the column straight down and the guide converts it to horizontal motion . I hope that helps . Frank.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:35 AM   #3
1975stepside
Stepside Fanatic!

So...it attaches at the left side, does it go over to the right side of the indicator somehow, and THEN go down to the column? Or just go right down from where the cable attaches on the indicator? (Thanks!)
Old 09-07-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
ron350

OK I have my gauge cover off but I do not have a digital camera.

Hope some one has a picture showing how to run the string through the slot.

Directly under the right turn signal light there is a white piece of plastic with a slot that the string slides through.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
ron350

Woops.

Last edited by ron350; 09-07-2007 at 08:44 PM.
ron350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
1975stepside
Stepside Fanatic!

Hmmm, OK, maybe THAT'S the problem! I just now went and looked at my dash, and right there under the right turn signal indicator is this sorta whitish-greenish plastic with what looks like a little bit broken off the bottom corner. Maybe that is where the cable goes? 'Cause there's definitely no little hole there anywhere else on mine unless it's broke off.(Anyone who can post a pic of that part of their truck would be appreciated! So I can tell what's missing...) Well, I guess I can either replace the whole dash circuit board (isn't that what the whitish-greenish plastic is?) or maybe just screw in a little screw-eye for the cable?