The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #1
mvfd70

Manual steering gear rebuild questions

OK so I started to reassemble my manual steering gear box today. I had all the pieces (I didn't even lose the tiny little metal balls that go in the worm gear.) I had it all almost put back together and I dropped the end cap (see pic). Well when I dropped it, I lost half the balls in the bearing. Where can I find new parts for this? I've looked in LMC and of course they don't sell the parts I need. I've done a search on the here but didn't see what I need. Are there any board vendors that anyone knows of that sells parts for these? Is it better to just find a new box and swipe parts? Thanks
Attached Images

mvfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Manual steering gear rebuild questions

I'm not sure you will be able to find new parts for these from the vendors. Not much demand and usually when they work don't require much maintenance.

You could possibly check with the GM/Chevrolet dealer. If you get the right parts person, sometimes they can go back quite a long time for parts and check if they're still available.

Otherwise, I would suggest looking for one at junkyard. A lot of classic truck owners have converted to p.s. and someone may have an old one they can part with. I converted both of mine years ago and sold the old ones for scrap.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I had the manual steering box for my 69 panel rebuilt by Redhat. It cost me 245 bucks. Unfortunately it wasn't the one I wanted rebuilt. I wanted my guy to send in the power unit I was going to use on my 69. Now I have a very expensive door stop, and I still need my power one redone.

Good luck finding the right parts.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:10 PM   #4
BCOWANWHEELS

Do Yourself A Big Favor And Just Get A Re-man Box. You,ll Be Glad You Did. But If You Still Want A Manuel Box For Parts I,ve Got One For 25.00 Plus Shipping.
Bob
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote