The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2007, 08:52 PM   #26
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

Re: Is it Just Me? Or are Parts prices getting Ridiculous?

Its only worth what somebody is willing to pay. If something is priced to high then it will be for sale for a long time. I say make an offer, the seller will usually deal.

Aaron
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:02 AM   #27
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

If you are going to buy used buy a parts truck as you cannot get a better deal as a bulk purchase then this. Sure you have to spend time stripping it but the value is there. I end up selling parts I do not need and it pays for the parts that I keep and for the purchase of the truck. It doesn't take long and you end up having back up parts. Just my .02 cents worth ....

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #28
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Buyin' used parts is like a complete truck, if its real good the moneys there. Once in awhile you'll find a deal like the $1,300 stepside a guy showed on here. Option parts will always be high unless the seller don't know what there worth. If I find tilts and tow hooks I'll finance my next project LOL!!!
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:16 AM   #29
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

All i have to say is everyone has a corvette motor, corvette transmission, corvette block.

The only thing that makes a corvette block diffrent than a regualr passenger car block is a few stampings.

In that case, i have a 1965 deuce 327 special high preformance motor (witch i do), try finding a deuce special hi-po, dont see many.

This guy wanted 350 for an old used corvette motor, longblock withc arb. wanted 350 for it (steal for a vette motor) but then we showed him it was a passenger car (my dad knows the codeletters pretty well, we get stumped a few times) and then in the end we got a running motor complete for 100 bucks, it smoked a little but that was it.

Then, i saw somebudy buy a 1962 327 250hp for 1300 dollars, i dont even think it was a corvette motor (cant remember off the top of my head). my dad was jealous he had missed it, but for 1300 bucks he can walk away

Basicly, if people want it they will get it, money is no longer an object to alot of people, just as my dad is, if he wants it he will get the car, motor, wrench, etc.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #30
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

With the multitude of new parts vendors and the internet to shop on, why are used parts so popular? I'd rather pay 25% more for a new part ( if available new) than buy and install a used part on my pride and joy.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #31
68K20 x Drill

When I got my truck, I cold go to a you pull it yard, and find 2 or 3 trucks that were better than mine in some way. 10 years down the line, I go to the yard, and any of our trucks they have are thoroughly and completely ruined..
So where if I didn't like somebody's price, I used to be able to go buy a hood for $50, now I can't, so the price cap has risen.

E-bay has done a lot to remove Geography from the parts buying game, with the negative side effect that people from less well to do parts of the country have to pay top dollar if they want to win, even though its their neighbor selling the rust free dinglewhatsis.

I am 100% with ESSL om buying the whole truck, and I find half the time used original parts are so much better than cheap new ones they last longer despite being used.

I sell parts to my friends for cheap. I sell on E-bay and Craigslist, usually for money, sometimes just for space, or to keep stuff out of the trash.
I have enough parts to almost build 2 trucks, and I haven't registered to sell here....not so much about the hassle as i don't really want to sell them.

I think what it comes down to is these are no longer just beat old work trucks, but now are valuable classics and top flight driveway ornaments!

I have a sickness

Whew!
I feel better, thanks guys.

84 Chevrolet Suburban K20 6.2 Banks turbo TH400/NP208 Now with G80

68 GMC C20 Parts? Truck

And a few cars
68K20 x Drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #32
70cst

This has been a very good thread. For example there were repo window vent assemblies being sold for about $270-290 but the quality and fit was bad. Because of these issues some of the vendors have dropped this item. WESS and GMCPaul (I believe if my memory is correct) said for that kind of money these parts should fit and have good quality. I just bought a very nice set of window vents from 1970 CST Short Wide for $50. plus shipping which was $20. So for $70 I have found my vents and I am very happy. There are lots of good members who are more than fair on pricing. On the other side of the spectrum I am thinking of spending $1500 for a very nice rust/dent free LWB fleet side bed that was taken off a truck a number of years ago. No shipping will be required as it's basically in my back yard. To fix my existing bed I will need to cut out the bed floor and have patch panels welded into the floor to make it right. Since this will be done at a body shop it will not take much to get $1500 worth of body work done. I know I can get beds cheaper down south and out west but then I have to arrange for pick up and shipping etc. To find a rust/dent free bed in the mid west is like finding hens teeth. I know that’s a lot of $$$$ for a bed but if I figure how much body work it’s going to cost to fix my existing bed…the LWB is a better deal. I agree with the previous statements…the more people that get in this hobby the more parts availability will seem to drop and the prices will go up. Then there are those who will see this as a hot hobby and will try and cash in on it. That’s America. I have dealt with WESS, GMC Paul, and Tim C. and all three have been very fair on prices and are very personal do deal with. But not all vendors are that way. I feel prices will level out because there are still tons of parts out there just waiting to find a new owner. We should try and support each other and the vendors on this sight or ones that you have developed a good relationship with. Pass those vendors on to us. I will have a rust free floor available this fall/winter or sooner and a set of very nice LWB fleet side fenders. I am not going to try and get rich off either because of those who have been fair to me I want to be fair to others. Just my .00000000000002 cents worth.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #33
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

We all tend to get entrenched into our own little corner of the hobby, in this case and for this board 67-72 Chev & GMC trucks. I spent the bulk of my gear head life involved with Corvettes. Back in the early 1980's parts were starting to really get attention for price inflation. Corvettes that were cut up for parts were now being restored so there were no parts cars to buy. WHAT WAS HAPPENING! Super rare Corvettes by the numbers were turning up at Corvette shows. Somethinng was in the air .... What was it???

Well finally it became obvious, certain guys [added up to quite a few] that were in the exotic sports car end of the hobby were starting to bail as they were well off but not blue bloods so it was always a hardship for them to keep up with the real plastic people, the oh so rich play ground of Porche and Ferrari. They were selling their cars for $150.000 a pop and buying 3 or 4 rare big block Vettes. They were finally at the top of their game instead of barely hanging on! This was starting to boost and inflate Vette prices and parts. Guys that sold their Vettes looked around and started dropping their money into areas of the hobby like hot rods and trucks. It all rolls down stream if you get what I mean. I built my 1950 Chev pup in 1998 and today it would cost me $15.000 more to build the same truck and do the work myself. So I built the 70' GMC in 2006. I was able to build it for what it cost me to build the 50 Chev in 1999. No base/coat clear [I wanted the primer look so no biggy] and even more work myself then ever before pulled it off. Compared to the Corvette market trucks are way more affordable but the question is for how long. Yes the production totals were really high, but these trucks are starting to be 40 years old. They need work and the after market is there for your truck needs. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the after market as they play a key roll in the hobby today. Truck guys are using their most valuable tool in their big red tool chest theirVisa. I try to keep things the way they were using the wreckers, doner trucks and repo for rubber parts and the like what I refer to as PERISHABLES. This practise is all but forgotton and that is another reason prices are higher. The average guy today charges parts on Visa where as 10 years ago he would not of even thought of doing this. That is why allot of guys have great looking trucks, more then average because of the charge it up attitude. When I finish my project I own it .... not owe for it. Check out who is getting into the truck hobby when your at shows you'll be surprised at what you discover. Also check out the attitude towards geting your hands really dirty.

esll.

Sorry for all the colors, I'll have to brush up on my color changing techniques!

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 09-08-2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:08 PM   #34
70cst

I like the colorful responses.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Old 09-08-2007, 10:53 PM   #35
sleepyboy
'69 Step

If they could make a machine to scam your brain and realize you are a chevy truck lover, parts should be FREE!!! Beer and Gas too!

Last edited by sleepyboy; 09-08-2007 at 10:53 PM.
sleepyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:39 AM   #36
BurnoutNova

like others have said, buyers control the prices of alot of stuff... ive taken some of the same stuff to swapmeets year after year... if noone is willing to pay i just take it home.
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:51 AM   #37
72GMCburban

It seems to be higher than craiglist, yet a little less than ebay. I think all prices should be 1/2 of what there going for. Where is the "were in it together" pricing? LOL
72GMCburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:54 AM   #38
70cst

"were in it together" ...still happens on this board. As mentioned I just purchased a very nice set of Window wing vent assemblies for $50. Keep shopping until you get the price that you like.

Last edited by 70cst; 09-09-2007 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:32 AM   #39
Mudder

If you don't like someones price just move on. If everyone would do that the prices would drop back down.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:44 PM   #40
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72GMCburban View Post
It seems to be higher than craiglist, yet a little less than ebay. I think all prices should be 1/2 of what there going for. Where is the "were in it together" pricing? LOL

When someone is buying .... just kidding.

esll.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #41
HeavyD

I looked at a totally beat, rusted, dented, stripped bare 71 cab to redo for my slime project, and the wrecker owner wanted $400 for it. Craziness. There wasn't a good part left on it, but he said "them there cabs are gettin rare..." Yeah, that's why he has around 10 of them in various states of decomposition.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:51 PM   #42
70cst

You know what they say..."Stupid is what stupid does". I think we need to be patient when looking for used parts. At this stage of the game there are still plenty of parts left. I feel that for the most part this is a good board to purchase from although I just recently bought a wood wheel that was advertised as "It is in good shape" and I must disagree. It has a lot of rust and in my opinion I paid way to much. But I realize when you buy a used part the definition of "It is in good shape" is up for debate. I will likely give this wood wheel away as I will not use it. This being said I will not label all sellers as bad. It was up to me to purchase the wood steering wheel so I was willing to take a risk. When chrome is rusted you cannot just use steel wool and varnish it to "fix" this problem. But this is life. This has been very good feedback.