The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Time for Front Brakes and Wheel Bearings

Well, I am still noticing a slight pull/fade to the right side while driving, which gets significantly stronger under braking. I've had an allignment done recently, which seemed to help a bit, but I think I will go after the front brakes and wheel bearings. So for just around $200 (Canadian) I will be doing the following...

Callipers - $25 ea. exchange
Brake hoses - $39 ea. (these are cracked quite badly - don't want a failure)
Inner wheel bearings - $15 ea.
Outer wheel bearings - $16 ea.
Inner grease seal - $4 ea.
Misc. shop supplies... oh right, these are my supplies - - free (kinda)

I plan on reusing the rotors and pads, since the rotors are nice and smooth and the pads are reasonably new.

I'm going after the bearings because the are slightly worn (rattling). I tried re-loading them, but a day later, the rattle is back. It looks and feels like the inners, but I'll do the whole shot while I'm in there.

I just love how cheap these parts still are. I can only imagine what all these parts for a newer vehicle would cost...
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Re: Time for Front Brakes and Wheel Bearings

To be honest man, you're probably still gonna have a pull. 90% of what makes up a brake pull is pad and rotor. You may have a hung up caliper, but I would HIGHLY recommend to at least replace the pads too. Rotors you can get away without doing, but get a good set of pads and slap those on there.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Point taken - I will certainly consider it. I'm not exactly sure what I'm chasing here, but I thought I would at least start eliminating things. And with all the posts I've read about collapsed brake lines (and the condition mine are in), I thought I'd start with these and the old callipers. But pads are certainly an option...
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

If you're looking for preventative maintenance and safety, then it's a good idea to replace everything else like that.

From what I understood, you wanted to get rid of the pull. Either way, it's a good idea to replace all the components. I did it about 6 months ago and couldn't be happier
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
Eyegore
What Hump?

On newer chevy's you now have to replace the wheel bearing hub, no more inner-outer wheel bearings and their pretty pricey. I wouls also suggest having the rotors turned, that if you can find a shop that will do a light turn to take out any warping.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
454HO

You can buy 'loaded' calipers too. These come with the pads already installed, and are usually cheaper than if you buy the two seperate.

The brake hoses are $39 EACH?!?!?!? That seems very expensive. You can get stainless steel braided hoses cheaper than that.