The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2002, 10:32 PM   #1
Durney

Tailgate ID ...repop or OEM?

Anyone want to take a stab at the differences in tailgates?

I received a few in trade as part of a truck deal and I'm having a hard time IDing a couple. One I am sure is a repop as its got no name (otherwise perfect).

I spoke with a customer (owns a bodyshop) and he said there are SEVERAL repops of the gates' and some are literally indistinguishable these days. Others he said are poor quality and tend to be "narrow" by 1/4" on each end or hardware doesnt fit as nicely.

I also called a couple places that advertise HERE and some said the ones they carry are IMPOSSIBLE to tell and others said they are just "OK" but look good nonetheless.

Any tailgate experts out there before I sell a couple? Whats the going rate for Chevy's and GMC's ???

thanks
Durney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 11:51 PM   #2
70c10
67-72 Addict!

I'm not an expert but I do know NOS is VERY heavy. I would think aftermarket is a bit lighter. Aftermarket fleetside "stamped" run $269. Aftermarket fleetside "smooth" run $129. These prices are new.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 12:59 AM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Install one that you think is original...then open it and jump up and down on it. If it bends...it is a repop. (not all, but many of them seem to bend real easily)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 10:10 AM   #4
Durney

I gauged the sheetmetal on all of them and they are ALL the same (+/- .001). They also weigh the same (except for the GMC with all the trim ). As far as bending one, I would think that thats one of the REALLY thin gauge imports not the GM approved repop.
But just for kicks I put the smooth repop on the 67 and had two BIG friends stand toward the center (without jumping) and measured zero deflection (but the hinges complained a little)

Why do some advertisers here charge 369-399 for the GM repop gates and others 269-299 (perhaps they are the flimsy ones?)

thanks for the responses!

(BTW still looking for a 67-68 air cleaner......)
Durney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 10:47 AM   #5
seah2os

Tailgate diffs

I compared an NOS GM tailgate for a 67-72 fleetside to the re-pop made by Goodmark ,who reportedly purchased the original tooling and rights to re-stamp the tailgate with the word Chevrolet thru the center...also re-poping the doors.The re-pop weighed 7 lbs less and did not have the spot welds running side to side in the indentation above the word Chevrolet. Other than that , I believe it is a fine piece if OEM is not important to you and would not hesitate to use one...
charlie