The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
ofnaman

big block question

Well, I am having a rough time selling my '97 k3500 and see no relief in site. I am thinking about pulling the 402 from the '70 and putting it into the '97, and putting the 454 from the '70 into the '97. I am a small block guy and know about the differences between the '86 and older, and '87 and newer(flywheel, one piece rear, etc), but are the big block flywheels and rear seals the same? Thanks
ofnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
streetstar

Re: big block question

That seems like an extreme move unless your '97 is in rough shape otherwise. I know the market for big 10mpg trucks is not very good, but - its a '97 -- someone will need a roofing truck, a landscaping truck, or a used ranch truck sooner or later.

I've seen the pics of your old truck - it looks really nice - unless you wanna go extreme with the mods - it might be worth more with the factory 402 than a transplanted big block. With the state of tune a factory 97 454 with peanut heads is in, the 402 might make more power anyway

JMHO
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
ofnaman

Re: big block question

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetstar View Post
That seems like an extreme move unless your '97 is in rough shape otherwise. I know the market for big 10mpg trucks is not very good, but - its a '97 -- someone will need a roofing truck, a landscaping truck, or a used ranch truck sooner or later.

I've seen the pics of your old truck - it looks really nice - unless you wanna go extreme with the mods - it might be worth more with the factory 402 than a transplanted big block. With the state of tune a factory 97 454 with peanut heads is in, the 402 might make more power anyway

JMHO
The 454 is a vortec and does not have the peanut heads on it, the only reason for the swap is I can put a 540 kit in the '97 block with a lot less machining work than any other 454, also, I can put lower lb/hr injectors in the smaller displacement 402 and hopefully save a little on fuel. As far as the '97 goes, I live in Reno, and there is a lot of construction going on. I have a single wheel crew cab 4wd and thought it would sell real quick. It is in great shape and I am asking 1000 dollars less than it is worth (asking 6300, kbb says 7300). I have had no luck with it so far, I have only recieved 1 call on it in three months, the 1 caller came and looked at it and said he would be back to buy it. I have not heard from him since then (two weeks ago). I am also going to make the '70 a driver/quarter mile truck so I am not too concerned about originallity.
ofnaman is offline   Reply With Quote