The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
raiden7800
Straight "6" Shooter

Exclamation Tips?

Due to mechanical failure on my truck due to lack of maintenance of the POs, my rear end differential now needs to be replaced, or repaired. I was cruising along at about 30, and had to come to a quick stop. Light went green, and I noticed that one of my brake shoes was dragging, well then I heard a nice crunchy grinding metallic sound coming from the rear of my truck. Naturally I pulled over to inspect. I grabbed hold of my drive line, and noticed about a 3/8" of play where the drive shaft goes into the differential housing. The play wasnt me rotating, it was actually moving up down and all around in there. So, I wasnt very far from my uncles shop, so I babied it down there, to take a better look.

I checked the fluid in the rear end (shouldve done this when I got it ), and there was nothing but a rusty goo in there. Oh, and my brake on the driver side was smoking at this point. Either way, I filled the rear end with fluid, and filled the trans, it was low as well, and drove home, still draggin the brake. Again, not very far away. Got home, fixed the rear brake, and have come to the realization that the whole drivetrain needs to be overhauled. I already have a new clutch kit, I need a good 3 speed OTT trans, a rearend rebuild kit, and I want to go with disc brakes in the front, and rebuild the rear drums. I also need new springs, and shocks, and bushings galore.

So if anyone has a complete part list, and/or tips/tricks to doing all of this, please, let me know! I sold both my other cars the other day, and all I have to drive now is the truck, and it doesnt like me too much right now.....

Robert

If you listen intently, you can hear a FORD rusting in the distance.

My LUG NUTS take more TORQUE than your HONDA makes!
raiden7800 is offline   Reply With Quote