The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
TonyJohnson

Soft 4-wd? My back hurts... lol

Can our 4x4s be made to ride as smooth as a modern 4x4? What's the trick?

Do any of you guys have a reasonably riding 4x4? My '71 has rancho shocks, a 4" lift and poly spring bushings and it rides like a dump truck... lol. I don't off road enough to live through this pain and I'm using the truck as a daily driver. Maybe there's someone here in the Denver area that wants to trade some suspension stuff?

Thanks, Tony
Old 09-13-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
Musclerodz

Re: Soft 4-wd? My back hurts... lol

You won't get it as nice with a straight axle up front as an IFS, but there is a difference in ride quality between lift kits. Whose spings are you using, which Rancho shocks, are your factory seats wore out?? All this translates to ride quality.

Mike
Old 09-13-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

What is your tire pressure - you might be able to drop a few psi to soften it up. Are your rubber body mounts in good shape?

Your seats in your pics look pretty comfy so I think you have that covered.

I hear great things aboout Alcon springs for a soft ride. I have Superlift 4" front springs on my K5 and blocks out back. I can't remember what shocks it has on it but they are definitely not top of the line shocks. It sure can get bucking on certain roads around here that are rough but when I'm on a decent road I think it really rides pretty well.

My 69 K20 has 6" Tuff Country's with the hd leaf which seems to make them about 7" and the too ride pretty decent. I'm using Rancho RSX9000's on the K20. That same road that makes my K5 buck also makes my K20 buck.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
Elwayno

When I put my 6" Tuff country in it rode like it was gonna shake out my fillings. Then I replaced the worn out out of balance 31" tires for 35" new ones. I don't know if it is the size or the different tire or the balance or what but the truck is so much smoother now. I think it is probly a combo of balance and less air pressure.
Elwayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Ron 586 is 60 years old, ask him about his ride in "GQ" cuase it rides as
good, if not better, than my Wife's 99 4wd Trailblazer. (Rough Country
springs, Rough Country shocks, & 35" BFG Mud Terrain Tires on 8" rims)
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T

Last edited by LUV2XCLR8; 09-13-2007 at 03:01 PM.
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
TonyJohnson

I'm not sure of the springs. The suspension stuff was all PO. I'll check the body mounts tonight. Hopefully Ron will chime in. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
vtblazer

Springs and shock rates, look into those areas.

I've got Alcans on my off road blazer and on the occasional pavement runs, it rides really nice...no kidding.

I feel your pain, years ago I put a 4" lift in a jeep I owned and could barely even drive it afterwards.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

Solid front axle and short wheel base does make it a challange to get a soft, smooth ride. It's hard to really judge a ride by everybodys comments alone. It's to bad that we couldn't get all our trucks together in one place and each test drive the bunch. Wow, that would be great wouldn't it?

Aaron
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
Musclerodz

Alcans are probably the nicest riding springs with BDS right behind them. I put slippers between the leafs of my truck to try and reduce some binding in the leafs. Good quality adjustable shocks will be next.

Mike
Old 09-14-2007, 02:48 PM   #10
TonyJohnson

Thanks. I'm guessing slippers are just plastic/poly flats? Never seen those, but it makes sense... The shocks I keep seeing pushed are KYBs. Any good?
Old 09-14-2007, 04:17 PM   #11
cstanley

you could always go air ride...

'72 Blazer Restoration Blog: http://sportchicken.blogspot.com/
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:04 PM   #12
TonyJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstanley View Post
you could always go air ride...
They don't make a kit for our trucks. The rear setup would be ouch $1699...
Old 09-15-2007, 01:26 AM   #13
cstanley

board member kbracing was doing one http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200909 i think he was using 4-link in front and back...

'72 Blazer Restoration Blog: http://sportchicken.blogspot.com/
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:24 AM   #14
Green Monster

I have to say, a solid front axle is not that bad. I owned a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which came with a solid front axle, and it had a very nice ride. I believe Jeep used torsion bars in place of springs though. Leaf springs up front seem to offer poor ride quality. Torsion bars and coil springs are the better option. Is it possible to set up our Blazers with either of these springs or an IFS? I suppose anything is possible, its up to you as to how much time and money you want to spend.

On a side note, my dad had a 78 Bronco and that truck had a nice ride. IFS with coils.
Green Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:03 AM   #15
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJohnson View Post
Can our 4x4s be made to ride as smooth as a modern 4x4?
Short answer is...NO!

How are your seats?

I had a factory set that would kill if you drove any real distance but then again,
one other set was great/comfy.

You might find that installing a nice set of after-market buckets could make a world of difference too.

Last edited by vtblazer; 09-15-2007 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:53 AM   #16
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Monster View Post
On a side note, my dad had a 78 Bronco and that truck had a nice ride. IFS with coils.

A 78 Bronco is a solid alex as are my Early Bronco's (70, 71 ,73) and thy ride great but they all have coils in the front.

First thing I would check is make sure whan the PO installed everything that he greased the spring bolts and bushings then make sure he did not tighten everything down to much. I have found on several bad rifing 4X4's that a few turns backing off the hardware on the spring shackles and hanger will make a world of differance. Even the guys that say theirs ride nice check you bolts and if they are nice and tight just back them off a turn and see the differance.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:01 AM   #17
TonyJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
...First thing I would check is make sure whan the PO installed everything that he greased the spring bolts and bushings then make sure he did not tighten everything down to much. I have found on several bad rifing 4X4's that a few turns backing off the hardware on the spring shackles and hanger will make a world of differance...

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Great idea. Guess I better break out the WD-40...

I guess I could remove a leaf or two on the fronts. They look like they could be one tons- 5 or 6 leafs. I just looked again last night and the springs are over axle and BIG... Didn't look too close yet. I'll try to get under there tomorrow and grab some pics. Unfortunately my time has been packed lately.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:06 PM   #18
Musclerodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJohnson View Post
Thanks. I'm guessing slippers are just plastic/poly flats? Never seen those, but it makes sense... The shocks I keep seeing pushed are KYBs. Any good?
Yes, I just drilled the original springs and installed them out of a later model truck from the dealership. I should have the part number for them somewhere. If the shocks are not adjustable, I would get a set

Mike
Old 09-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #19
snj8198

could converting to a longer spring be a viable option? from what i've been reading here, those who have gone to longer front and rear springs have experienced a softer ride and better flexability; so long as the pack isn't too thick i guess. but then there is a bit of work to this conversion too.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:44 PM   #20
Green Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
A 78 Bronco is a solid alex as are my Early Bronco's (70, 71 ,73) and thy ride great but they all have coils in the front.

Ahh yes... the 78 Bronco did have the solid front axle. Memory lapse there. Thanks for the correction.
Green Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:59 PM   #21
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj8198 View Post
could converting to a longer spring be a viable option? from what i've been reading here, those who have gone to longer front and rear springs have experienced a softer ride and better flexability; so long as the pack isn't too thick i guess. but then there is a bit of work to this conversion too.
Your on track and it would be WAY more cost effective than going to an air ride set up for sure.

Not hard at all going to longer springs, guys in the off road sector have been doing it for years.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:49 PM   #22
69TowRig

Shocks are a big thing here. Keeping everything else the same, changing your shocks could help bigtime. I love my Ranchos, on my trail rig. They do not ride well on the street and will never compare to stock shocks or premium shocks for on-road damping. The Ranchos just aren't made for it. I've had the 5000 series and the 9000 series adjustables. I recommend getting the dimensions off those shocks and then purchasing a good quality set of Monroes or Bilsteins and seeing how that works for you.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:41 PM   #23
mister.freeze

An easy fix is weight. The Fox has 3/4 Superlift 4" springs front and rear. There's a noticeable difference top on/off. The double wall is very heav. Having my bike in the back smooths the ride a lot too.