The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2007, 01:21 AM   #1
Pont406

trans linkage

I am almost done with motor installation but I ran into a problem. PO hacked the trans linkage good. I am not even sure that its install right. All I get is a reverse right now. It's hitting a header collector. Does this linkage looks right? I am in the process of getting another linkage or I will make my own. I am trying to keep a column shift. I can always install floor shifter but I'd rather not. Anyone got a pic of linkage when its in park and drive? Thanks
Attached Images

Pont406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:03 AM   #2
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

Re: trans linkage

I installed a Lokar cable shift kit. It comes with a bracket that installs on the column and another bracket that installs on the transmission using 2 of the transmission pan bolts. The cable is great because you can pretty much run it anywhere you want (like around headers and other things).

Here is a link to the part that I bought (first two pictures in the top left of the page). http://www.lokar.com/interior_pages/colshiftlink.htm
1970 Pontiac Lemans
C10-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:51 AM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

I'm gonna get the rod version, it's about half the price of the cable at Jegs.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:30 AM   #4
FLEET72

I'm running this: http://www.kugelkomponents.com/produ...shiftkits.html and it clears my Hookers with lots of room to spare.

'69 GMC Custom Camper

Last edited by FLEET72; 09-18-2007 at 05:41 AM.
FLEET72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
71tahoe

If you've got that pontiac motor in with headers, you will have to go with aftermarket linkage. My son has a 69 pickup that had a pontiac v8, open headers and stock linkage when we got it. It looked like the driver's side collector had been dragged off but seeing how close yours is, it might have been done intentionally. It aparently was drag raced so the PO never needed to worry about clearance.

I don't know how it works yet but we got the Lokar cable because the camaro headers we're trying to use now have worse interference than yours
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

The PO had installed the direct rod linkage on my truck. I replaced it because I found there was way too much torque transfer to the column. When I stepped on the gas real hard, the vehicle would try to shift by itself, if you know what I mean.

The problem with the aftermarket kits, compared to the stock linkage, is that there is nothing to isolate the column from the transmission. The stock setup has the bracket on the frame to help absorb drivetrain torque, whereas, with the aftermarket kits, you are basically hooking up the transmission directly to the column. The lokar kit was only about $120 bucks and, in my opinion, well worth the money having used both styles.
1970 Pontiac Lemans
C10-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

I can not give any input on the pontiac motor conversion (have not done one) and or other clearance issues. I can however say that your lower linkage (per your pic) is setting over towards the frame and pivot to far, it needs to set over closer to the trans and the shift link. stud & retaining nut. Not sure if you are able to move it back over towards tranny or not, or if that would even give you any added clearance were you need it but I have added a picture of a working SBC/TH350 lower linkage setup. Hope it helps a bit, Cb
Attached Images

Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote