The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
1969k10stepside

Arrow When it comes to getting new calipers for your solid axle 4wd..

Ok,so I've been working on finishing up the brake lines,hook them all up,bleed the back and go to the front passenger side.I go to get the wrench on the bleeder and it's been stripped..So,I try numerous tools,vise-grips,etc,etc and finally break down and buy a new caliper.I go to the local Advanced Auto and tell them the model,etc.."1971 Chevy K10" and they go get me the caliper.I go home,put the pads on,bolt it on and go to hook the line to it and the banjo bolt I have from my old caliper is too small.That was yesterday.I called them up,and they said I had the wrong one and said the correct one would be there tomorrow.So today I call,"Yep,it's in,come and get it".So,I make the 10 mile drive there,with the old one (Core charge) and the one with the wrong size threads for the banjo bolt.I show them,they look it up again."That's the right one,the computer says so" I tell them to check a 72.."Yep,same thing" ..Then it hit me...I remember now that the newer corp. 10 bolts had the metric banjo bolt and I bet this reman caliper I bought was from a corp. 10 bolt,and not a Dana 44,like the 67-72s had.So,I returned the new caliper,took my old caliper with me and drove over to Auto Zone hoping they would have the right caliper,and not a metric one.They were cheaper on the caliper than Advanced,so I bought one there,knowing it probably wouldnt work but still had the original that I might be able to get the bleeder out of.So,I get the caliper,a metric banjo bolt-Since this was also a metric one--from a 10 bolt Corp. and then have them get a new soft line that the banjo bolt holds on,to see if the line would work with the metric bolt,and it fit..Just for the fun of it I went over to O'Reilly's and told them--"1971 Chevy K10" The employee's first words were "You must know something about these trucks,you are the first person in here to say it's a K10..not a C10 4x4,etc". I was hoping then maybe,just maybe they would have the right caliper,even though I already got another,so that I wouldn't have a metric banjo bolt on one side,and American on the other..They get me the caliper,I get out the old banjo bolt,and guess what? The caliper is also for a corp. 10 bolt equipped truck--Metric banjo bolt.So,I go home,and install the metric banjo bolt caliper on the truck.I'm not happy about it,but atleast the truck has brakes.So,if you are going to get a new brake caliper for your truck equipped with a Dana 44,then you will most likely need to get a metric banjo bolt as you will probably end up with a caliper from a newer truck with a 10 bolt,which had the metric banjo bolt.Just an FYI..
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:47 AM   #2
earl87gta

Re: When it comes to getting new calipers for your solid axle 4wd..

same thing happend to me the last time. I was changing the lines at the time 2 and I did both sides so that every thing would be the same.