The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2007, 11:19 PM   #1
Cochise

Water they worth? (2 fold question)

There is a partly junky 71 for sale in my area. It has a motor, tranny, junk '70 grill, junk interior installed, but comes with everything to get the interior finished, has carpet, sound/heat dampening, 71 grill, good tailgate (extra $100), 2 sets of tires (8). Non air cab, lift kit (used to be a Mud Drag truck) but still a 2WD. The BIGGEST questions I have are...Motor is '78 Caddy 425 in front of TH400 (rebuilt). I've wanted a Big Block truck, but I'm wondering if an old Caddy motor will not be as good as I would hope. The only way I can buy the truck is to sell some parts that are already on my truck, so I can get the stuff I want to FINISH my truck. Dude wants $1000 for the whole truck with all the parts that go along with it. Am I crazy to try to get it? I don't think the body on the prospective truck is worth much, but all the unwanted parts may end up profitable, uh, ish for me. Whaddaya think?

Also, how much would my good-running, semi high performance motor, Turbo 350, and possibly a spare 200-4R w/ torque converter be worth? Would they cover the cost?

Cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:13 AM   #2
72armyswbtruck

Re: Water they worth? (2 fold question)

Not to be a smarty pants but
Old 09-17-2007, 07:09 AM   #3
Cochise

Sorry, didn't think I needed pictures.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:31 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Used motors & trannnies don`t bring alot.There`s no way for a buyer to know what he`s really getting.Even a rebuilt has no garauntee.A used motor is worth about a buck an inch and it`s still a crap shoot until taken down to inspect.
The Caddy has a value based on the fact that they just don`t make motors like that anymore.There are companies that specialize in performance parts for these.Did the guy cobble the mounts or buy the adapter mounts that you cann put over into your truck?Can you hear it run,do compression check?Is it a Cadillac TH400 or adapted?Caddys make great torque and guys use them for that.If I used one it would either be stock and cheap for instant big block torque or pep it up just to say it`s a Caddy,like back in the pre-speed shop days.It would be more practicle to invest in a BBC for the money,IMHO.Lot`s more choices available,mostly.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
(used to be a Mud Drag truck) Motor is '78 Caddy 425 in front of TH400
I'd walk away from this. It's been rode hard and put up wet. It wouldn't surprise me if the frame wasn't sprung from all the torque and the beating it took hitting the mud bogs.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
Cochise

motor that was used for Mud Boggin' is gone. This is a motor that was bought afterwards. Basically all I want from the truck are the parts that I need to finish mine. This is my first truck project and I don't know what to do. My Body is almost done, I have some of the interior, but this guy has ALL the parts I need to finish.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

The caddy 425 is not a sought after motor.
This was a down sized emission version that came out in 77', only rated at 180 hp and 320 ft·lbs of torque.
If you want a torquey caddy motor look for a 71' or earlier 472 or 500 engine.
Those were over 350 horse with over 500 ft. lbs. of torque.
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #8
Cochise

Thanks Denny.