The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
69C10@16

Im Going Carburetor Crazy!

I am SO confused. I just bought a 1405 Edelbrock Carb (600 CFM Manual Choke 4 Barrel) to put on my 307 with a Holley Contender intake that's already on it. I have had to do a lot to this truck and don't have the money to pay anybody to put it on but I have to get it done because my 2 barrel (mounted on a Mr. Gasket Co. reducer) leaks. It looks like somebody JB Welded a hole that is under the float. I don't have any idea what I'm doing and the book that came with it only tells how to adjust it. I understand why they don;t tell you how to install. It varies so much from vehicle to vehicle. Can anybody tell me what I'm going to have to do? Maybe there's somebody close to Greenfield, MO that would like to come help out a newby tomorrow?
69C10@16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Im Going Carburetor Crazy!

Go to www.edelbrock.com and look for the technical heading. From there, you will be able to look at a lot of info on their carburetors.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:16 AM   #3
69C10@16

Ok. I took a good hard look at everything under my hood and I feel fairly confident about the install.

Heres the one thing still bothering me.

Does the 69 Chevy 307 have timed vacuum advance or full vacuum advance.
I.E. does it always have vacuum or does it only have vacuum when its not at idle?

Apparently this is VERY important information on installing this carb.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. And thank you for the post oabout the site. It had a LOT more info than I could have possibly expected.

Thank you dearly in advance.
Newton
Old 09-22-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
Red 69 C-10

Dude if I was you i'd get rid of the jb weld in the hole and get the right base gasket. Divided for dual plane or open for single plane. You don't want a piece of j-b floating round your valves or on top of your pistons. For timed or vacuum ports, try both and see how she runs,very simply to change. That carb I think will need some rejetting, least mine did. Went form 98 primary jets to 95's, stiffer step up springs and bigger or thicker metering rodsfor a stock 350. Summit Racing sells a re-jet kit for the 1406 for about $40.00 Good luck!!!
Red 69 C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
jhow66

You will be way ahead of the game if you get someone to install it for you. You also have to hook up your kickdown for trans with will differant then on the 2 barrel.You will not have to retune the carb-run it just like it is as you seem to just want a driver.
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
69C10@16

Well we got it installed and fixed all of my fuel leaks. While we had it out we needed to chang ethe intake gasket and we did. But when we pulled the distributor we messed up the timing. So today I am taking it (on trailer) to my uncle and he is going to help me fix the timing. The kickdown cable is being a major pain. For the most part it all went well. After the timing is fixed I should be good to go. Thanks for all the help.

Newton
Old 09-23-2007, 09:21 AM   #7
screamin_c10
I dun gradjiated collij!!!

My hats off to you!!!

Seriously, any shmoe can pay somebody to work on their ride, but whats the fun in that? We own these trucks as a hobby and for some a daily mode of transpo. If you can't work on your own truck or you don't have the nerve to ask for help when in a pinch, take up yoga, basket weaving, or maybe stamp collecting or some other lame ass hobby.

With that being said, I am equally proud of you for taking it to a friend/relative when things (distributor) got over your head. Watch what your uncle does and how he does it .......and learn.

Again congrats on the intake and carb install!!!!

Last edited by screamin_c10; 09-23-2007 at 09:22 AM.
screamin_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote