The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
Dova

Door Speakers

How hard is it to cut out the kick panels and put speakers in? i seen on a different site premade kick panels with cutouts for speakers, is it easier to go that route? pics would also be great. thanks in advance
Dova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
boundstaffpress
Jamie Hyneman is my twin

Re: Door Speakers

The back side of your kick panel has some cab supports and is exposed to the weather, so I would just put in the premade variety. Sorry no pics.

SOLD 1967 K10 Fleetside, 283, Front and Rear Posi SOLD

Color Wiring Diagrams Now in High Resolution
V8 and Cab and Cab and Chassis
boundstaffpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
Premium72

make or buy some kcik panel speaker boxes/pods and go that route. you dont wana cut your cab up for speakers. plus the sound would suck.
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
gkolmatycki
Love that '69

You can cut holes in your kick panels for speakers or purchase the pre-fabricated fiberglass ones. I cut holes in my kickpanels for a pair of 5 1/4" components. It took about 1.5 hours per side, but they fit perfect & sound great. If you go to 6.5" speakers though you may have to notch out the cab support behind. The sound is no different really. True the other side is exposed to the weather (somewhat), but I only drive my truck when its nice (ie. not in the rain). I have a 400W 4-channel amp powering them & my rears. I'll try to get some pics this weekend.

1969 Chevy C10, SBC V8, TH-350 Transmission, Metallic Blue, B&M Megashifter, GT Grant Steering Wheel, 2.25" True Dual Magnaflow Exhaust System w/ SS Magnaflow Embossed Tips, 700W Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, Lowered 1" Front & Stock Rear, 4.56 Rear with Positraction, 15" Chrome Rims w/ Chevy Center Caps & Michelin Tires, 4.5" K&N Air Filter, Edelbrock 'Elite' Engine Accessories, Chrome Powdercoated Engine Parts

2001 Cavalier Z24, 2.4L DOHC, Silver, Spoiler, AEM Intake, 2.25" Magnaflow Exhaust System, Clear Euro Tails, Tinted Windows, 400W Clarion Stereo System

Last edited by gkolmatycki; 09-14-2007 at 12:37 PM.
gkolmatycki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
JameslovesJammie
God Bless Mr. T

The premade plastic ones sound terrible. The speakers that come in them are aweful. It is really easy to make some fiberglass kick panels and mount speakers in them. There are at least two threads about them...one in the Truck Audio section and one in FAQ's. They look better and sound way better than anything you could buy.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:17 AM   #6
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

It's a lot easier then filling them in if you decide you no longer want speakers in your doors or where ever you decide to cut holes in your truck! I filled mine in when I did the body work on my truck.

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 09-23-2007 at 03:18 AM.
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #7
ChevyDude

Made mine....fronts 6.5 & 1" component Kappa's and rear 6x9's
Attached Images

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4

Last edited by ChevyDude; 09-23-2007 at 09:57 AM.
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:05 AM   #8
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I'd go the no cut route. But in older days, I'm becoming more of a purist. that is if the truck hasn't been totally changed over the years. I try to keep them as close to original as possible.

Now, if it's been cut up and changed already, then, a hole in the kick panels won't make much difference.

I saw a floor mounted speaker system, I believe in the Brothers catalog, that may be an alternative. Do a search.

Hey, ChevyDude, can you show some finished pics.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #9
Dova

yes, could you post some pics of it after installed. i don't really have the time, space or tools to do something like that. but it would be nice to have. i think i'm going to put 6x9's under the seat and not sure where but mount tweeters somewhere and be done until i get the gas tank removed then mess with subs and what not but for now 6x9's and a small amp running them should be fine
Dova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:27 AM   #10
ChevyDude

Because of the depth of the Infinity Kappa speakers I did not mount the boxes or pods to the kick panels. They stick way to far out to put them there, so I bolted them up high on the floor board. Yes you can kick them...but surprisingly they are not in the way of where you feet go. On the Drivers side the high beam floor switch was blocked when mounting to the kick panel...so they went on the floor board as well. I need to take a pic of the D side.
Attached Images

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote