The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2002, 03:31 PM   #1
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Smile Console is in

Well, finally found the time to get everything installed. Only thing I like being totally finished with the install is hooking up the cable for the shifter dial. I lost my screw and little, tiny clip that holds it on. No biggy though.

Anyway, I've been messing with the new CD player and amps all day. The new player has so damn many things to adjust it takes some getting used to.

Here is the url for the directory of all the console/speaker box pics. The new ones are the internew.jpg files (1 - 13).

http://www.73-87.com/garage_photos/console/

I'm well satisfied with it. It turned out as good or better than I expected. Thinking very seriously about getting the door panels and dash covered in the same material.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 03:54 PM   #2
BigRed

Looks good as usual Mike! Looks to be a real nice fit, especially between the seats.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:55 PM   #3
PHOENIX

Looks good Mike!

What are you using in the factory radio location? Is that a factory radio delete plate? Do you plan to put anything there.......... like air bag controls (hint! hint!)

How does the sterio sound?
Old 12-23-2002, 05:09 PM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

No, not a factory radio delete plate, it's a Mike radio delete plate. I made it out of some aluminum trim metal I had laying around and painted it black.

Not air bag controls for sure. I thought about adding a couple gauges in the space, not sure which ones though.

Stereo sounds great. I'll never understand why anyone would want two 15" subs in a truck though. My two 12" are enough for anybody.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 12-23-2002, 05:14 PM   #5
Earl Junior
Cadillac power

Is that a B&M Hammer shifter?

Does your gear selector indactor work? Mine won't go past N.
Just for the record, if I'm down to my last potato, I'm not sharing it with a guy who wants to kill me so he can get a better supply of virgins in paradise. That lesson is a little thing I call Economics 101, infidel style.

--Scott Adams author of Dilbert
Earl Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 05:53 PM   #6
PHOENIX

Mike, how long have you had those 12's in there? After awhile you'll want more and more..... it never stops!
Old 12-23-2002, 06:00 PM   #7
low 84

looks awsome mike

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 06:56 PM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Earl,

it's a B&M Megashifter. No, my shifter dial indicator isn't hooked up. In all the confusion, I lost the screw which holds it on, which is no problem, but the little clip is. I got the light hooked up for it though.

Eddie,

these are the first 12's I've had. They are some hard hitters for sure. I guess the amp has a lot to do with it though. This is fine with me because I have always loved a lot of bass.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 12-23-2002, 07:11 PM   #9
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

Looks great as usual Mike!!

I am really considering a set of those seats for 2 reasons....one they are really nice...2 I can have my stereo guy build the box and such per your specs!! Awesome broh!

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 01:08 AM   #10
78chevstepside

Talking

Very impressive and very well thought out. jay
78chevstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 04:03 AM   #11
bill_ont_canada
Nobody is perfect...

AWESOME MIKE

You are indeed a man with a plan, I like that...
Thanx for sharing all the pics and drawings I have copies of the drawings for when I get to the consul and spkr box building part of this truck.
I know you got 12" Sony Xplodes, but how about sharing your stereo specs with us? like the brand and power of amps, mid spkrs and tweeters sizes and how many watts they are and why you chose them... for us not familiar with the equipment.
All I know is I want a great sounding Stereo at the most reasonable price. and I think building our own box is a way to start.
I realize sound systems are a matter of personal preference and there are many many brands of equipment out there and all kinds of different prices. Sometimes when I go looking at the stuff it just makes my head spin... where do you Start.???

" Loud Pipes Save Lives "
bill_ont_canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 08:57 AM   #12
racedvl
Account Suspended

I must say. . . that looks awesome!
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 10:20 AM   #13
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

looks Awesome Mike, now go and get all the trim covered!
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 11:12 AM   #14
bigblock73
yeller

way to go Mike...lookin awesome!!

Now are you going to drive your truck!!!
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 02:08 PM   #15
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Thanks a lot guys. You all know how to make someone feel his effort wasn't wasted. After all, you all are my biggest critics because who better to know what something is supposed to look like in these trucks, us right? If I get an approval from all of you, then I think I've done OK.

Bill, every piece of my system wasn't bought at one time. Like most anyone else, I bought it as I needed/wanted it.

The front speakers are mounted in the Q-Logic kick panel enclosures. I have a pair of Rockford Fosgate FNX2406U FanaticX 6" midrange/bass speakers. The tweeters in the Q-Logic's are some from a set of Cerwin Vega 4.2's. The 4" woofers are long gone, so I used the tweeters. The fronts are powered by a Pioneer GM-X552 amp, 50 watts x 2.

The rear speakers are as you see, two 12" Sony Xplods subs, and I also added two Radio Shack tweeters in the upper two corners of the box. They are powered by a Crunch P2200 amp, 200 watts x 2.

The CD receiver is a Pioneer DEH-P8400MP. The biggest reason I bought this receiver is so I can play mp3's. Also it being on sale played a part too. This is one fine piece of equipment. It has more adjustments than anyone could ever imagine. Real nice indeed.

For good prices on stereo stuff, check out The Zeb This is where I bought my CD receiver, Rockford Fosgate mid's, Crunch amp, and Xplods.

Capt,

I plan on going by the upholstery shop and see what he can do about covering the rest of my interior to match the console. I talked to him about it when I picked up the console/box. He told me there would have to be seams in the dash, which I knew. The door panels will also need to be seamed, but I think he can do it at the armrest so it won't be noticed. The dash, well I'm not sure yet. I'm taking the truck over this time so we can come up with a plan.

Jeff,

I will drive it, but not in the rain, well not very much, and never in the snow/ice. We don't get a ton of the stuff down here, but when we do, they go crazy with the slag junk salting down the roads. Just the thought of salt getting under my truck about makes me sick to my stomach.

Once again folks, thanks for your compliments. They are well taken and appreciated.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 12-24-2002, 06:26 PM   #16
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Swerve,
Let me scan you a picture of a recovered dash. Run one seam down the top edge (above the vents) and the other down the seam of the "guage pod". If you use topstitch it looks real good.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 06:35 PM   #17
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Send her my way Chris. Or post it here will be fine.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 12-24-2002, 07:12 PM   #18
Prerunner1982

mike i looked at your site with all the pics.. looks great, only thing i might change would be to put the arm rest further forward.. move the cupholders further up.. not sure how much it would hinder the shifting though.... just my thoughts.. but it still looks awesome.. makes me want to build mine.. just not post pics of it!
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 07:41 PM   #19
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Jon,

with the shifter in the location it is now, if the armrest was farther forward, it would hinder shifting some. The way it is now, is about perfect for me. You would need to move the shifter up some to make the armrest longer. I built the console around the shifter. In other words, I mounted the shifter where I wanted it to be and then built the console to fit. Believe you me, what you see now is not the first design. I would build it and tack it together to see how it fit. No other way to do it besides put it together and in the truck. I didn't have anything to go by but what I built.

It may look like the armrest is not long enough, but it works great.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 12-29-2002, 12:46 AM   #20
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Sweet pics Mike. Just got back in town and saw your pics. Makes me rethink the buckets even more. Now to convice the wife

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 01:00 PM   #21
PHOENIX

I don't know if she'll go for it Brandon. She wouldn't be able to sit in the middle anymore Now is that good or bad?
Old 12-30-2002, 09:51 PM   #22
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Where is the DVD player?

Nice work Mike. Still want that ride.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:56 PM   #23
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Quote:
Originally posted by gchemist
Where is the DVD player?

Nice work Mike. Still want that ride.
It's in the back. You do know it's illegal to have a DVD to where the driver can see it, right?

Come on up and I'll give you a ride. Be glad to.