The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
GMC69

New Project!

Well after the first attempt at a project truck failed with my 69 gmc ( too far gone to fix). I recently bought an 83 Chevy for 600$ ( some have seen my thread)

That started the wheels turning once again at a chance to redo a vehicle. it helps that my fiance's father owns an 83 GMC that is getting repainted at this very moment and he replaced the cab doors and tailgate while he was at it.

Well step one was a visit to a local wrecking yard that is about 1 mile from my house and is one of the only ones left that deals with older vehicles. I was originally looking for a carb and that was it till I seen a truck that recently came in with a nice frame.

Talked to the owner and I now have that frame with the dual exhaust ( probably going to change it) sitting in my barn ( my garage really)

I plan to strip this frame of all suspension and lines, clean it up and probably POR-15 it. Then I would like to lower the rear 4" and the front about 2.5". Somewhere along the line I will get a body from the south ( rust free), and figure out what I want to do for drivetrain.
I currently have a 305 in the red truck and figured if I am going to build something I might as well go 350. But I don't tow much so do I really need to go 350?

Been reading a few posts about crate engine and that is a possibility, or get my 305 rebuilt. I do want a nice DD truck but would like a nice sound to it with a cam and maybe headers.

I gave myself 2 years to complete this project cause in just under 2 years I get married and would like to drive my truck to the church, hehe. Leaving the church would probably be done in her dads 65 t-bird.

I got as far as stripping the truck and installing the 4" drop coils on my 69 but that was it. So I now have the coils sitting here and a few other parts. They will probably be hitting ebay at some point in time.

2019 Silvedrado 4x4
1970 Chevy 3/4 ton, 396BB, on air bags
GMC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:01 PM   #2
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

Re: New Project!

well ur at a good start and you have plenty of time to deside on and engine. a 305 is a nice engine and it can sound mean but there is no replacement for displacement. But those parts from the 69 might fit dont quote me but these trucks still ran with many simlar parts as there predisesors. as for a rust free cab and bed. might as well just build a 2nd truck cause with a new cab and bed theres almost no reason to take the red lady apart. just a thought. once again very nice start.

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:26 PM   #3
GMC69

I agree with the "no replacement for displacement". As it is, the 305 sounds pretty good with whatever cheap muffler was put on it. I do plan on building a second truck, but will try and use as much as I can from the red one. If I go with parts from the Southern U.S., then I plan to keep the vin I currently have, that way I don't have to get it re certified to be road ready, and it will always be an 83, no matter what year of frame or cab I have.

Not sure how much of the body will be salvageable on that red 83 since the rot is setting in, but there are still a few good parts, like core support, rad, inner fenders, etc...

I am going to try frame and suspension/brakes first, then drivetrain, then body and finally rims and tires. But I also don't want an engine sitting there not being used while I wait for the body to get done.

finally for the 69 parts, I don't plan on using them. I have 4" drop coils, adjustable panhard bar ( never installed), brand new cab supports, a few floor sections, and I can't remember what other new sheet metal I have. I also have brand new dash pad and arm rests. Once I get it all organized I will probably sell it all on ebay.

2019 Silvedrado 4x4
Old 09-24-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
GMC69

Quick update. Over the weekend I picked up a 350 that already has an RV cam in it and matching lifters. The guy ( who I work with), might also sell the intake he used on that engine, but it is being used currently on his 47 or 48 chev pickup.

Tonight after work I got the complete front cross member removed, tranny cross member, gas tank, and part of the rear suspension removed. If I can get it all done and cleaned by the weekend, I will be applying POR15 and some color to the frame only. The front cross member will come later unless I have the time.

I don't have any pictures yet, but maybe just before and after the POR gets put on and then again after paint.

2019 Silvedrado 4x4
Old 09-24-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Sounds like some good progress. Keep us posted and get some pics....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:40 PM   #6
bigblock79
67 Chevy Stepside

you getting progress done
1976 BIG DOOLEY 454 turbo 400 4:11
bigblock79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
GMC69

Well last night I didn't get home from work till almost 7pm, so I did nothing.

Tonight I only worked till 3:30pm, ( my usual time). So I tackled the rear end. what a PITA that was. I just couldn't get the bolts out. I got one out of 4 out. Luckily I am putting a drop on it so I didn't care about removing one of the hangers, and grinding the bolts on the shackles.

I hope tomorrow night I can get all the small stuff off the frame and start cleaning it. Then get another quart of POR 15 on Friday since I only got one last time.

I promise I will get pictures soon. I want to take some before POR, after POR, and after paint pictures. All I can say about the paint is that it will have color to it.

Good thing I have all winter to put the frame back together, cause I will definitely be taking my time. I have to hurry up and paint while it is still warm enough to

2019 Silvedrado 4x4

Last edited by GMC69; 09-26-2007 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-30-2007, 11:22 AM   #8
GMC69

Well got the frame painted, but have a few little spots to finish. SO here are the pictures I promised, and besides, we all like pictures, lol

Here is the engine I picked up a couple weeks ago ( taken with my camera phone at his place)

Here is where my suspension sits since I am limited for room where the frame is.

After the final wash just before drying ( used the marine clean and the Metal-ready)

After the POR15

And I did part the the front crossmember, that will be hard to get once it is back on the frame

finally some color, only parts I did with POR that will get covered

AND the frame

As you can see I left the bumper on since I had that resting on the rear jack stands so I could get all the frame, and as you can see, yet another use for a cherry picker, lol

2019 Silvedrado 4x4